Logo

Water pump /cooling system /exhaust tube /pee hole question

Grumpy Bear

Regular Contributor
1974 Merc 500 50hp. When water leaves the water pump and up the copper pipe into the powerhead, is some of it designed to flow back out down around the exhaust tube and some eventually through the pee hole? I was testing the flow of water going through the motor by removing the lower unit, connecting a rubber hose to the copper pipe and pumping water up into the cooling system around the powerhead and it seemed that, after filling the areas around the powerhead, the vast majority of the water started coming back out and down around the exhaust pipe and barely any out of the pee hole. Same thing happens if I push water through the pee hole back through the other way: after working its way through the motor, most all of it ends up coming down around the exhaust tube area and not back through the copper pipe. Normal?

The reason I did this was that I wasn't seeing any water out of the pee hole with muffs on at idle, so thought I would check it out.

Last edited:
Typical. Check the TELL TALE hole for plugging/ I use a blast of compressed air with the motor running.

Jeff

Back