Logo

Alarm at idle on 09 bf200a

SFWilliams

My father purchased a 09 sea fox 236 with a 200hp Honda and has recently put it in the water. He had the motor went over by a certified mechanic who suggested new thermostats, we replaced those and launched. If he leaves it in idle the efi alarm and light go off. Sounds like.a second on second off. Under wot he is also only getting 4200 rpm according to his tach. At times the tell tale looks weak. Usually we would pull the boat and take it back to the mechanic but the trailer is not usable at the moment. He used the boat for a day before the problem appeared. The oil and temp alarms are not going off. I have a feeling we will need to take the boat out toget anything done but is there anything we can do on the mooring to attempt to fix this?

sorry about the poor formatting using my cell to post this, thanks for any help

Do you have four lights on your key switch panel (overheat, alternator, MIL [Check engine], and oil (green)? If so, which lights are lit when alarm goes off?

I suspect that you need a new impeller for your water pump, but let's try to eliminate other things first. If you do need a new water pump impeller, then you must haul the boat and have someone do the work, so get that trailer fixed.

Do you have four lights on your key switch panel (overheat, alternator, MIL [Check engine], and oil (green)? If so, which lights are lit when alarm goes off?

I suspect that you need a new impeller for your water pump, but let's try to eliminate other things first. If you do need a new water pump impeller, then you must haul the boat and have someone do the work, so get that trailer fixed.
Only the mil alarm is going off, thanks for the reply

We just swapped the water sepererator out between the fuel tank and engine looked like just gas and maybe a dozen grains of particulate finer than sand. Alarm still goes off, and we noticed the engine seemed to shake more as soon as the alarm starts. It was fine for a couple hours yesterday trolling at very slow speeds and idling but when it started up again we went in. The motor only has 90 hours on it. Crappy weekend to not try to find a mechanic open.

The reason I asked about the four light key switch panel is that if you have that you can pull detailed fault codes by shunting the service connector. So, do you have the four light key switch panel or not?

If you do, then send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you the instructions for pulling fault codes. You can do it with a paper clip.

One of the issues with these engines is that the high pressure fuel filter gets easily clogged or deteriorates. However, when that happens, it seldom sets off an alarm. So it's likely something else in the programmed fuel injection system. Getting the fault code(s) will pinpoint where the problem is.

The reason I asked about the four light key switch panel is that if you have that you can pull detailed fault codes by shunting the service connector. So, do you have the four light key switch panel or not?

If you do, then send me an e-mail at [email protected] and I will send you the instructions for pulling fault codes. You can do it with a paper clip.

One of the issues with these engines is that the high pressure fuel filter gets easily clogged or deteriorates. However, when that happens, it seldom sets off an alarm. So it's likely something else in the programmed fuel injection system. Getting the fault code(s) will pinpoint where the problem is.

I shot you a email thanks

Back