Logo

Battery selector switch

bperry

Contributing Member
This boat is new to me and it has a battery selector switch. I have a starting and a deep cycle battery. Are there any directions on how to wire the selector switch. It has 1, 2 off and both positions. Thanks for any help.

i would get rid of the switch..the only purpose of it is to be able to recharge your deep cycle trolling motor battery while running and your charging system is not designed to charge a run down battery..hook the batteries up to their respective loads and have them isolated from each other....have them fully charged when you launch the boat...just my opinion...

I was thinking the same , If my start battery happens to be low I could put jumper cables under a seat and use the deep cycle to start. They are both new batteries so if I keep them charged I should never need to jump or use a switch.

I agree, no switch. I invested in a good battery jump pack as added insurance. the jump pack has been absolutely fantastic when helping other boaters at the dock or stranded out on the lake.
the more simpler and direct you make your electrical connections.....the better off you are. remember, every time you make/add a electrical connection, no matter how good it is......you are adding a small amount of resistance. with no switch installed, that is just one less part that can fail. there are lots of posts in this forum of selector switch failures and connectivity problems.

my take has always been this in the size boat i run...give me two good batteries hooked up as i describe..then maintain those batteries with a trickle charger at home....i use a battery tender which will rub about 50 bucks..

http://www.amazon.com/Deltran-Batte...2&sr=8-2&keywords=battery+tender+plus+charger

if the motor is in good shape you have more starts in it than you will ever use in a day on the water ....if i needed more trolling time than one deep cycle would provide i would go with a 2nd deep cycle..

i also replace the start battery every 3 years...

I went out and installed my batteries and the switch is pre wired. When the thunder storm and rain quit I intend to remove the switch and hook it up like you suggested . I have 2 new batteries and will get a float charger to maintain them. Do I need one for each battery or just switch it to the other battery periodically? Thanks for the help

you can swap it out..but these will not boil a battery if you leave it on...i had two that i left on 24/7 year round on a large boat i had...and they last forever..the 20-30 buck ones that you see everywhere will not....

Back