Logo

Water Pump Replacement Issue--1st Timer---Need Help!!!

mbroker100

icon1.gif
Water Pump Replacement Issue--1st Timer---Need Help!!!

Ok, so brand new to boating and I just got a 14' 1978 Boston Whaler with a 1983 35HP Johnson on it. I have spent that last month watching videos and researching outboard engines and small boats so I can fix this thing myself. I enjoy it. I just replaced the steering cable, cleaned out the carb, new solenoid, new coils, new starter, plugs, and a new battery. Wanted to freshen it all up a bit. I started her up and she runs but she is not spitting any water. So I dropped the lower end today and replaced the water pump--> housing, impeller, plate, gasket, etc... I also ran weed whacker line through the water line holes and pushed air from the underside with a compressor to make sure the water line was clear(which it pushed air through) So here is my problem--> I can't get the lower end back on. I dropped it while the engine was in neutral and when I try and slide it back in it seems like the drive shaft is about 1/4" to 1/2" to long preventing me to even attempt to line up the water line with the water pump grommet and flush up the lower end with the rest of the motor to replace the mounting bolts. Any ideas?

The instructions say to "engage piston" when I replace the shaft but I am not really sure how to do that? When I turn the drive shaft should the propeller turn? or no because I dropped it in neutral?

So I am stuck here not able to get the lower end back on the motor? Any and all help would be appreciated...

~Mike

You have to sort of feel around for the hole in the crankshaft as you poke the driveshaft up in there. And yes you may have to rotate it a bit to align the splines. Be careful you don't knock the o-ring off the drive shaft splines. It gets easier after the first dozen or so.

Don't puta gob of grease on the end of the shaft, because it can get trapped between the end of the shaft and the crank shaft, exerting pressure where it is not suppose to be. Put the shifter in neutral, take out your spark plugs so you can turn flywheel by hand easy. Move your shift linkage on lower unit, until you can move prop shaft without it dragging. That will be neutral. Then, insert the shaft up into engine and move flywheel until the shaft slips in.

Suggestion.... Put the lower unit into gear... either gear. Now as you're trying to line everything up, you can align the drive-shaft splines up with the crankshaft splines simply by turning the propeller.

Don't be concerned about turning the drive-shaft and impeller backwards as that will be corrected the moment the flywheel cranks over normally.

"Our questions require answers. If you refuse to answer our questions, how can we answer yours?"

I love the above statement by joereeves

To all that replied..THANK YOU! much appreciated...so I turned the flywheel a little, and wiped of the glob of grease I put on and it worked...good lesson in more is not always better with the grease... so I got the lower end all back together, started it up and she started spitting water like a champ... I was excited to say the least...Now the good part...I hook up the trailer to the truck and bring the boat out to the closest bay to make her maiden voyage. Launch the boat, start it up. Put it into reverse and back out of the launch...I'm giddy with excitement...I put the boat in forwar and give it some throttle and the boat revs in reverse. Yep...that's right... The boat goes reverse and reverse in forward. It doesn't seem to make that click when you shift into neutral or forward that boats always make. So good thing I have a sense of humor and I start cracking up...It was progress. I got the boat in the water, engine started , and moved...but it's one hell of a day riding around the lake in reverse(plus your neck starts to hurt). So I am left with either a blown lower end, low/wrong oil in lower end or a shift cable issue as I can see it. The shift cable moves when I move the throttle so I think it is one of the other two... I broke down and brought it to the local marina to have it looked at... Hoping its not a blown lower unit. Whats weird is All I could find online was people posting how the boat went forward in reverse or vice versa, nothing where the boat went in reverse whether you were in forward or reverse. I dropped the lower end in neutral and reattached it in neutral so not sure what I screwed up if any... thoughts???

You didn't say anything about reconnecting the shift rod.I'm not sure where it disconnects on that model,bit too new for me but the older ones have the little oval cover on the leg but some at least of the newer ones disconnect under the carb somewhere.Your symptoms sound as if it was not reconnected.

No ----It disconnects at the water intake screen.------------------So you have to take it and you MUST turn the lower shift rod all the way into the lower unit till it is tight.------On assembly you ---DO NOT TURN THE LOWER SHIFT ROD !

Back