Logo

This is crazy -- help me solve this puzzle, please!

Grumpy Bear

Regular Contributor
In the pictures below, you have my fuel pump (74 Merc 500 50hp) next to a picture of the same pump in the service manual. Notice the check valves are reversed. Also reversed from an eBay pic of the same pump. BUT, the way I have them is the only way that fuel can even be pumped into it. Reverse them like the manual, and nothing can go into the inlet from the hose going to the tank. Couple of questions: doesn't the brass elbow connect to the hose from the tank and the straight brass fitting go out to the carbs? Does the fact that the brass elbow is on the left top as opposed to the right top as in the manual make a difference? In other words, please tell me what connects to what and which was the check valves go in because this make no sense! Thanks!

IMG_1243.jpg$(KGrHqJ,!roFIQF1UfSmBSML)DjlUw~~60_12.JPG

Whatever else is true, I discovered that if I have to have the check valves the way the manual says so, the hoses have to be switched from what is illustrated in the parts schematic in order to work on my motor. Ridiculous! There should be a STANDARD so that people like me don't go through this.

Now I'M confused! The check valves (one of them, actually)will only go in ONE way, and the pump only flows one way.

Jeff

The only way one can get both check valves in assbackwards is with a sledge hammer! One of them only goes in one way.

Jeff

Back