Logo

Electric trolling motor

eddio

Just as an 'off the wall' idea, has anyone tried fitting a small electric 12v outboard to the transom. It would be quiet, smell free, and cheap. If able to take the boat (19'Maxum) at a couple of knots across calm water or slow moving river for an hour or so it may be a way of increasing boating options. I would expect to have a separate battery, and a switch to split charge so as not to drain the main starter battery for the V6 engine. An engine mount would be easy to fabricate, and helming with a tiller from an aft jumpseat seems feasible. I wonder how the boat would steer, bearing in mind that deep V hulls do not like slow speeds?

Any thoughts?

Ed

small wont do what you wish i dont believe..i would try a 55 pound thrust at a minimum.....the boat will only run true if you bow mount it...it may appear to tun true but the trolling motor will be at an angle..will work but inefficient..

A 6hp onthe swim platform pushes 20' Proline 4.5 mph by gps. Used twice in emergency steering not easy.

I have a MotorGuide 55 wireless on the bow of my GT185. Even at 55 thrust and bow mount I can have some difficulty going against current speed changes in rivers let alone any crosswinds. Mounting one on the transom you'll likely be spending your "hour or so" correcting course.

Thank you, guys. Interesting posts and advice. I'll stay with the V6 for bay and sea and get a canoe for the rivers!

Back