Logo

1989 100 hp Mariner lower unit

Chick

Regular Contributor
Still working this engine over. I pulled he lower unit and replaced the water pump. When I tried to stab it back, the splines would not line up, even though I had not moved anything. I turned the shaft to the crankshaft and the splines lined up, but, the splines to the shift linkage did not line up. I had my brother move the shift lever slowly back to neutral, until they lined up and it went together. Problem is, it is in forward all the time. Do I just pull the lower unit with the shift lever in neutral position, as it was went it went together, then once split, move the shift lever to forward, and try to go back with it?

Thanks!

Drop the lower unit again,put controls into whichever gear you like,doesn't really matter as long as both lower unit and controls are in same gear,I prefer neutral,others reverse.I pull the plugs as it is easier to turn flywheel to line up drive-shaft and crankshaft.It's the splines on the shift-shaft lining up is the important factor.A small bit of play with the control lever,very small,will get it to line up

Drop the lower unit again,put controls into whichever gear you like,doesn't really matter as long as both lower unit and controls are in same gear,I prefer neutral,others reverse.I pull the plugs as it is easier to turn flywheel to line up drive-shaft and crankshaft.It's the splines on the shift-shaft lining up is the important factor.A small bit of play with the control lever,very small,will get it to line up

The SELOC book, said to put it in forward, for some reason, that I have not figured out. I am new at the Mercury game. I use to work on a long of Mercruisers, but never any outboards, on OMC. Thanks. I will try this. I had thought about what you said, but just get tired of making mistakes and would rather ask someone that has already done it. haha. Happy 4th!

Back