Logo

270 mechanical control piston removal

tmcboat

Regular Contributor
I have no spring pin #62 to remove from the eccentric piston-- missing- there is only the angled hole and there is a smaller hole on the other side of the piston- I shot wd40 through one hole and it squirted out the other hole but when I try to pull the main pin#63 out of the piston with needle nose pliers it wont budge. any tips
thanks,
tmcboat

The spring pin (aka roll pin) is hollow.
It may be there, and you just think that it's not!
You will need a specific diameter tool to push the spring pin out of the detent pin.

I will post some information for you in the morning when I am back at my PC .

BTW, not all of the Volvo Penta schematics assign the same SEQ#
to the same part, so it's best to include the schematic when you reference these!

Last edited:
You need a small diameter pin punch to get the pin out. It's very small and as Rick say's, hollow. I've ground down several punches over the years. Just make it so it just goes into the hole and drive that little sucker out of there. The roll pin is only about 3/8th" -1/2" long, so keep track of it when it comes out if you don't have another.

Some call these a spring pin..... I have always refered to them as a roll pin.
Either way..... here's what one looks like.

Slotted-Pins-web.JPG

The one in your eccentric piston detent pin will have a tapered end to it.
If you re-use it, be sure that the tapered end leads when driving it back in.

The OD of the roll pin and the ID in the detent pin, will be slightly less then the bore in the brass eccentric piston.
IOW, the pin punch will need to be slightly smaller than the compressed spring pin OD.

Like Gary, I've also had to grind one down for this use.

p_230100004_1.jpg

Attachments

• eccentric piston detent explanation 2 .jpg
    eccentric piston detent explanation 2 .jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 33
Back