Logo

OMC 140 stalls at time

MWAM81

Hello All,

I have an OMC 140. I took it out a few weeks ago and the mounting bracket on the water intake manifold cracked and water was shooting out of it when it was running. I replaced that part and put on a new gasket. So I then took it for a drive on a small lake here in town for about two hours. the only problem was that it stalled out when I first put it in drive. Once I let it warm up for 5 minutes there were no problems. I Varied my speed and shut it off and restarted it a few times and it ran great. Temperature never exceed 140 and oil pressure stayed at 50psi. I then took it out with a few friends yesterday and it was running great. I then met up with a few of my other friends and we rafted up for about a half hour. When I went to take off the engine turned over but wouldnt fire. I could smell fuel so thought it maybe flooded. As my buddies were towing me I tried the engine again and it fired while in high idle. after about a minute I droped it out of high idle and it stalled out. Then I went to turn it in again and it turned over but wouldnt fire. about 20 minutes later I was back at the dock. I fired it up again and let it run for a 2-3 minutes in high ide and then drpped it out of high idle and it ran fine. Took it for a quick spin and and drove it on the trailer.

Any thoughts on the stalling/not fireing?

My 1st thought is = points!1 They get coroded, burned & id change all the dizzy parts & plugs!! Set the dwell on points & see how it runs! 2nd - flooding? choke set properly? electric choke i believe. That engine is nothing but an old chev 4 cyl made from 1962 up made millions of them! They were called 110, 120, 140 & 3.0l engines. omc & M/C used them. Only updated parts ive ever seen was an electronic dizzy in the 3.0 L m/c !

Back