Logo

Need advice on purchasing an inductive tachometer

unclebob

Contributing Member
I am going to purchase an inductive tachometer for use on my 3 cyl., 60 hp Mercury outboard. There does not seem to be a big selection of these available and some of the customer reviews are not good. I would like feedback on what some of seasoned mechanics use or recommend. If it is not accurate it is of no use. The best candidate so far seems to be the
Electronics Specialties model 328 EZ Tach + PLus.
auto_electric.gif
MODEL #328 EZ Tach +PLUS
AUTOMOTIVE TACHOMETER​
For Automotive Technicians​
MODEL #328 EZ Tach +PLUS AUTOMOTIVE TACHOMETER​

• Features:
  • Versatile instrument can measure RPM on a wide variety of engines from string trimmers to automotive.
  • Reads engine revolutions from 0 to 20,000 RPM
  • Picks up RPM signal wireless or with supplied inductive pickup
  • Great for setting idle speeds!
  • Built-in LED Flashlight which can be used while taking measurements
  • Backlit LCD display
  • Accuracy +10 RPM
Price: $67.95​
328.jpg

I have no experience with picking a good/accurate tachometer but if that is claiming a tolerance of only 10rpm I would think it would be accurate enough for anything you can adjust by hand with a screwdriver. I am looking at a kit from an electrical component supplier here in Australia that claims to be accurate to 100rpm, for me that would be enough.

That looks a LOT better than the clunkers I've used in the past.

The trick to getting them to work is to isolate the nearby wires with aluminum foil.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I will remember the aluminum foil trick. The last tachometer that I used was an old analog meter from back in the day.

If your just checking rpms another trick is with a digital VOM that measures hertz. Stick the pos pointer directly in the meter and just hold it close to one plug wire. For a two stroke multiply by 60 and a four stroke multiply by 120.

That's an excellent tip. I can get a multimeter with inductive pickup for less than a tacho kit at the local electronics store. I can use it for more that just a tacho and I don't have to assemble it. Can't wire it in permanently for use on the water, but you can't have everything.

Wynjim55, Thanks for the tip, I have a Fluke multimeter, but it does not have the inductive pick up feature. Still, good to know.

Update. I purchased the EZ 328 inductive tach. It is not an effective tool and I sent it back the next day for a refund after trying it out on four different engines. It has a digital readout and updates every .75 seconds. The readings vary at least +/- 50 rpm's and sometimes much more. I am going to look for an analog readings that has a real time needle that gives smoother readings and you can see small changes. I don't recommend this product.

Back