Logo

Can't get 3.0 181 to turn over. Pulled starter it was bad replaced it.

Ford

I replaced my 3.0's bad starter I can get it to spin but it will not turn over the engine. I pulled the spark plugs. No water or rust on the plugs or in the cylinders. I tried to turn the motor by tightening the alternator belt and turning the bolt no dice. I'm stuck Im a car guy not a marine just helping someone out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I replaced my 3.0's bad starter I can get it to spin but it will not turn over the engine.
a starter spinning but not engaging the flywheel is either a defective bendix drive or a defective solenoid
if the starter spinning the motor and its just not firing?

I replaced my 3.0's bad starter I can get it to spin but it will not turn over the engine.
a starter spinning but not engaging the flywheel is either a defective bendix drive or a defective solenoid
if the starter spinning the motor and its just not firing?
No the motor won't turn the Bendix drive engages fully when I jump it while off the motor

and what happens when you jump it on the motor?
if the solenoid is kicking the bendix out like its supposed to and the bendix Is good,it will engage the ring gear.
unless your missing some teeth on the ring gear

and what happens when you jump it on the motor?
if the solenoid is kicking the bendix out like its supposed to and the bendix Is good,it will engage the ring gear.
unless your missing some teeth on the ring gear

The starter spins like it should but its like the teeth are not even connecting is there a possibility I have a starter that will mount up but won't reach the ring gear? No missing teeth BTW.

if its a PMGR type(mini starter) it might have a weak /bad solenoid. just replaced a new starter that was doing the same thing.
with it removed and wired does the bendix gear jump around .meaning to not lock its extended position

if its a PMGR type(mini starter) it might have a weak /bad solenoid. just replaced a new starter that was doing the same thing.
with it removed and wired does the bendix gear jump around .meaning to not lock its extended position
When I jump it off the motor it pops out and works flawlessly whats the best way to spin the motor by hand. Already tried with the alternator belt

does it pop out all the way and stay all the way out when spinning? the bad one i had would allow the bendix to flop back and forth about 3/8ths of an inch

Last edited:
couple of ways:
screwdriver in the starter opening or a T handel welded to a input shaft but the drive must be removed to use it

then its either not reaching the flywheel (incorrect starter) or the teeth are missing on the flywheel ,or someone installed an inboard flywheel

then its either not reaching the flywheel (incorrect starter) or the teeth are missing on the flywheel ,or someone installed an inboard flywheel

Inboard flywheel? How would I know. I got the motor to spin through the starter hole. No teeth missing I just don't think they are meshing up right

it ran and now its on its 3rd starter. Wonder if it is a hydro-lock condition ripping the teeth off the flywheel`s ring gear

Back