Logo

Force 50 Won't Turn Left or Right

meighkee

Greetings, I recently purchased a bass boat with a Force 50 (US Marine) motor on it, Model 507X5A. Am finding issues with it and my first concern is it doesn't seem to turn left or right, even with the steering arm disconnected. Should it move freely at this point, or could there be something unique about this motor that may include some hidden lever holding it in place for transporting or something? If not, I'd greatly appreciate any suggestions on how I may be able to free it up. Thank You!

Try warming up the swivel bracket with a heat gun or blow dryer, and pumping some lightweight grease into the fittings on the bracket.

DO NOT!!!! Pump grease into the mid section until you heat it up.
The grease has turned solid and the kingpin is stuck.
If you add grease now all you might do is push the zerks out from the pressure.
Most zerks have threads. These don't.
The grease is in there all you need to do is heat it with a propane torch.
The top and bottom of the mid section has a bushing and it will melt and seize the pin in place so don't heat too much.

Heat it up and get it good and hot.
It will take a lot of heat.
Then slowly pump a bit of grease into the zerks.
Don't pump too much at first.
You need to make sure the old grease is moving again.

Thank you for the emphasis on heating it up first. Will give 'er a go this weekend while the brisket is smoking and let you know how it worked out. Thanks very much.

Thanks very much for the information. Will heat it up this weekend and add a little grease to it. I assume it's the same grease used in auto zerks. Hopefully that's the only thing keeping it from moving. Thank you again.

Back