Logo

Engine RPM Limited ~ 3K After Replacement of IAC.

Eflyer

Hi Guys, New to fourm

Around 2 weeks ago I had my boat quit running while idling. Re-starting would work only if the throttle was increased. No idle at all was allowed. Turns out it was the IAC valve which I confirmed when I ohmed out the old (.7 ohms) and new (10.1 ohms).

Now to the problem. After changing the valve I have no power above ~3k rpm and playing with the throttle and trim the best I can get is around 24mph. I'm used to 42 mph @ 4.4K rpm. At 3K I can hear/feel what seems almost like a surge. At lower RPM around 1.6K the exhaust sounds off almost like a miss. When not in gear the engine runs smoothly up to 5K. No alarms sound.

A little history: When the IAC went bad I was 5 miles from my slip. I had to start with the throttle high and then pull back to center and pop it into gear before the engine died. This got me home. The engine on the trip ran smooth (with the annoying 2 beeps every 1 minute). As I approached the dock I had to pull back and killed it several times having to try and force it in gear a few times till I was pointed at my slip and coasted in (with the help of a gaff to grab the dock and pull myself in).

I'm at a loss to correlate the changing of the valve with the new problem. Any thoughts?

Ayuh,.... Check the contents of the fuel filter for water, 'n crud,.... Sounds like she's starvin' for fuel,...

Back