Logo

Old Mercury Kiekhaefer - how to detach shift lever from drive shaft?

I'm trying to replace the water pump assembly. I need to detach the shift lever linkage from the drive shaft (see photo). I do not see how to do that. Any idea?

Attachments

• MercuryShiftLever.jpg
    MercuryShiftLever.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0885.jpg
    IMG_0885.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 42
The shift shaft is splined.---------There is nothing that needs to be disconnected at the top of the motor.-------just remove all the nuts on the lower unit including the hidden one under the trim tab. ---Best to put the control in forward.

It's a 650 - 65 horse power. The serial number is 2872319, does not conform to the Mercury website serial numbers because there are not enough digits.

Thank you. I suppose I could use PB with a spray tube to direct chemicals into the joints. However, there appears to be a bearing on the right side (photo) of the shift link. Is that bearing operable? Does it adjust in and out to link the spline? Thank you for your comments. I'll start soaking the parts in PB and/or power steering fluid.

There was no need to remove that nut on the linkage up top !!------Hook it back up before removing the lower unit.

Oh boy. I got the message too late. I pulled the lower unit and replaced the pump without re-connecting the shift linkage. With the lower unit re-installed the shift linkage does not engage the propeller into reverse. Can I fix that?

Back