Logo

03 bf50 looking to increase amprage?

Jerryb1

The title pretty much says it all, but is it possible to go from the standard stock 10 Amp output to something more? I understand the 2008 bf50 came with 17amp output. Can the 2008 parts be instslled in a 03? Anyone with experience have an answer, thanks in advance.

I do not know of any way to increase it. There is a kit to increase from the 6 amp to the 10 amp. But that is as far as it goes. The newer 50's have a different flywheel and different coil arrangements under the flywheel. New flywheel is fastened with one nut. Your flywheel fastens with several bolts.

How about adding a solar panel?

Mike

Thanks Mike, I have another question if you don't mind, how do I test the exact Amp output, I just assumed it was 10. Thanks again.

I use a clamp on DC amp meter. I just clamp it over the positive or negative cable going to the battery. I do not recall any specific rpm/amp. If you rev the engine to around 3000 - 4000, you should get a pretty good idea of the output.

The clamp on meters can be very expensive. Most clamp on meters do not measure DC current. Here is one that Sears sells that is fairly reasonable and can measure fairly low current levels. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-clamp-on-ammeter/p-03482369000P

Mike

Back