Logo

What Does This Repeatable Problem Tell Me?

John Haggerty

Contributing Member
I have a 1989 70hp. Engine will start OK when cold and run fine. After running fine about 20 minutes, I turn it off for a couple of hours. When I try to restart it, it is hard to start. Seems like too much fuel. Eventually it will start but only after spending a lot of time on the starter without giving it any fuel. Repeats this every time it sits for a couple of hours.

I 've been told that the idle is a little high, but is not a simple adjustment.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Guessing doesn't do it!

If you had fuel somehow leaking into the cylinders, removing the spark plugs and examining them would reveal that.

You would also need to check for proper spark... all spark plugs removed. Use either an adjustable gap spark tester, available at any auto parts store... OR... you could use a #2 Phillips screwdriver, having the tip inserted in one of the spark plug boots so that the tip of the screwdriver is entered into the spring clip that normally grabs the spark plug tip, then hold it approximately 7/16" away from the block while cranking the engine.

The spark should jump that 7/16" gap with a strong blue lightning like flame... a real SNAP! The 7/16" gap is important. Using a spark plug to test or a smaller gap is a waste of time.

Look over the stator under the flywheel very closely. If it is cracked and/or dripping a sticky looking substance down on the timer base and power-head... replace it! That sticky looking substance dripping would indicate that at least one of the large coils within that stator has failed which would result in weak and eventually no ignition.

Stators in that flawed meltdown condition may work fairly well when cold BUT when hot, as with a engine just turned off and having all the heat rise up to that stators location... that heat will knock the stator out of action until it cools off again... "MAYBE" as it will fail altogether eventually.

What are the common ways that fuel leaks into the cylinders?

I assume I'm to examine the plugs for being wet versus what condition?

So I'm off to Amazon for a spark tester.

Does flywheel need to be removed to sufficiently examine stator?

After checking plugs, spark at 7/16" and stator, I'll re-post findings.

Thanks for the help.

Back