Logo

35 HP 3 Ram Tilt/Trim problems

mojobubba

I am having a problem with the pump on my 3 ram tilt/trim system on my 1988 35 hp outboard. The pump motor went bad so I had to buy a motor/pump assembly. I have burned up the new pump, replaced it with the original pump and burned it up also. I have bought a third. I have properly filled and purged the reservoir each time. The pump works for a few seconds ( not long enough to cycle once) and then quits pumping. How do I assure that it does happen again?
Thanks, James

It is a 2 cylinder 35 hp Mercury with a 3 ram tilt/trim. The problem is not the electric motor. Only the original was bad when I bought it. I had to buy a new electric motor/hydraulic pump assembly. I installed the assemble, filled the reservoir, bleed it out and tried to cycle it through to purge the air when the hydraulic pump section burned up/gaulded. The electric motor is still good. I replaced the new hydraulic pump with my old one and it gaulded as well. I have now purchased a new complete electric motor/hydraulic pump assembly but have not installed it due to fear of the same happening again. I have watched several videos and see nothing in them that I did not do from the begining. Thanks for your interest Chick!

This is crazy. I could see one pump failure, but 2 is something else. I have a 3 ram unit, but it is on a 100 HP Mariner. I had to pull the motor apart and clean it up, and lost fluid in the process. I refilled it and bled it as instructed in book. No problems. Not sure if your unit is the same, but my unit is pretty much self bleeding. I will look this evening and see if my book covers your tilt/trim.

I'm sorry I failed to follow up on it. I have been working too many hours, and losing too much sleep. I will look at it tomorrow, when I get home. I apologize.

My manual only goes down to a 45 hp, but it covers through 1989. Not sure if the the motor uses the same t/t unit as yours, but I will look at this tonight, when I have time and try to determine if it is the same. If it is, do you have a fax number I can send you a copy of the pages pertaining to your motor?

I am not sure what you have, as the parts drawings for a 35 HP Mercury shows it has a 2 cylinder tilt/trim unit. I went through the manual, and can find nothing that troubleshoots the problems you are experiencing, on any of the models. One thing I would do, is to check the voltage to your trim motor. You should have almost exactly the same voltage to the supply side of your solenoid, as at the battery itself. Maybe 13.6 volts, with it not running. With it running, maybe 15 volts. Then I would check the trim motor side of solenoid, while operating the trim unit. There might be a small drop from the supply side, but not much. If it is high or low, you will have to figure out why, but at least you have eliminated one thing. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Back