Logo

Honda bf90d

jasoncalleja

Regular Contributor
Hi I would like to ask if it is normal that water splits from the engine air brider I am referring to the hole that is near the pi hole. This is how it happened I removed the thermostat to inspect it and I found some salts residule so I started the engine without thermostat in a thank with salt away and that is how it splited water from the breader than after reinstalled the thermostat I started it again and it was ok. Is it something normal or I can damage the engine ?. Thanks Jason

i have checked on the owners manual and it is the idle port from where it splits water is it normal? the outboard have only 16whrs on it

i have checked the thermostat that is on the cylinder head and i do this as i was feeling the engine to run a bit hot than i found that it has a second thermostat on the engine block i removed the thermostat and found out a total mass it was clocked with salt as you can see in the pictures can some one tell me what may have caused this as i rinse the motor after every use and i rinse it in a 200lt water tank and i use salt away in it normally i lett the water to be warm and i Let it run for around 10to15min and the outboard was used for 1 season it have 16whrs and bought it new. can you tell me if i am doing something wrong. thanks Jason
11655298_1125716890777451_1139015769_n.jpg11716029_1125716884110785_40854245_n.jpgView attachment 11613

I do not know. Hopefully, someone who deals with saltwater all the time may have an answer. Most of the engines I deal with are in fresh water.

Mike

i have checked the thermostat that is on the cylinder head and i do this as i was feeling the engine to run a bit hot than i found that it has a second thermostat on the engine block i removed the thermostat and found out a total mass it was clocked with salt as you can see in the pictures can some one tell me what may have caused this as i rinse the motor after every use and i rinse it in a 200lt water tank and i use salt away in it normally i lett the water to be warm and i Let it run for around 10to15min and the outboard was used for 1 season it have 16whrs and bought it new. can you tell me if i am doing something wrong. thanks Jason
View attachment 11611View attachment 11612View attachment 11613

To me this is just another piece of evidence the flushing motors after Saltwater use does nothing. I still do it but I have accepted that other than making me feel good, its useless.

I do not know. Hopefully, someone who deals with saltwater all the time may have an answer. Most of the engines I deal with are in fresh water.

Mike

i was searching and found out that it could be calcium from water tap i don't know what to say but i am starting thinking that flash the outboard it does no difference gust a waste of time

A typical garden hose from a household tap does not have enough water pressure to get to the thermostats. At least that is the case on my 225. However, it does flush at least part of the manifolds and everything below, so it is still a good idea to flush it after every use in saltwater.

I had an old Evinrude 2 stroke and flushed it religiously in a large tub assuring that the thermostats did open, etc. I would run it for 30 Minutes while I cleaned up. I had the motor for many years until the powerhead finally blew up. I took it apart to examine it and there was very obvious signs of salt build up inside the water jackets, etc. this was anecdotal evidence that all that flushing did no good whatsoever.

Hi all again Today i have re checked the thermostats after only used the outboard for 6 times and around 4 hrs of ruining time and found out that the thermostat on the engine blocked was blocked with something like salt but it does not taste salty as i taste it to be sure if it is salt so i think it is calcium after the last time that i have cleaned the thermostat port i have rinsed the motor for more time so it could heat up well and the thermostats will open but seams that had not worked the problem is that the thermostat on the cylinder block is clear and clean all that i know is that one opens at 50 degrees and the other @ 60 degrees do you think i can do something to eliminate the problem before i may damage the outboard

From what you just said and from the previous pictures, it is possible that you may have an galvanic corrosion problem. Those deposits look like they could be from build up particles being eaten away from a metal casting. First check and clean your anodes and make sure they have a clean metal-to-metal contact with your lower unit. If you are parking your boat in a marina where their could be rampant and random electrical charges in the water from boats connected to shore power, or if you are connected to shore power, raise your engine out of the water.

There was a good article on those issues in Boat US: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/articles/marine-corrosion.asp

From what you just said and from the previous pictures, it is possible that you may have an galvanic corrosion problem. Those deposits look like they could be from build up particles being eaten away from a metal casting. First check and clean your anodes and make sure they have a clean metal-to-metal contact with your lower unit. If you are parking your boat in a marina where their could be rampant and random electrical charges in the water from boats connected to shore power, or if you are connected to shore power, raise your engine out of the water.

There was a good article on those issues in Boat US: http://www.boatus.com/boattech/articles/marine-corrosion.asp

I use the outboard in salt water and never left in sea i wash and rinse it with salt away and in a water tank with tap water after each use. the outboard have been use for around 22hrs and half of the time it have worked in the tank in the garage as during winter i start it every 2 weeks for around 15min. i am suspecting that it have built up calcium in it for all these hrs that worked in the tank or the salt inhibitor is causing it. or as when i use it it ran for around 15 min to the destination where i go swimming it sits there for around 5hrs and other 15min back may be that the second thermostat does not have enough time to open and water to circulate. i don't know but probably i am doing something wrong. Thanks

That is indeed strange. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. However, it has been my experience that the more these engines are run, the better they run. And Honda's work well when run hard after break in. The next time you have it on the water, consider taking a long run for maybe an hour or so and, if safe, run it at wide open throttle as much as possible. It could be just a case of the engine needing a good warm up and a long raw water flushing.

BTW - I think the thermostats on that engine are supposed to open at different temperatures. Hopefully someone on this forum with experience with the newer 90's will know for sure.

Your right chawk_man the thermostats do have different opening temps. I`ve just replaced them on my bf90d. For some reason then the thermostats seem to block up pretty quickly on these particular engines so you need to check them if your using them in salt water.

I`ve not found any benefit from flushing the engine via the flush fitting as all the thermostats will be closed. If you get the engine tilted asap once your finished then you`ll get the max amount of water out of the engine as the thermostats will still be open.

Cheers, Matt.

I will take your advice and try to give it a good run next time and will check the thermostat regularly and will see if it keeps clean like the one in the cylinder head. thanks all of you

Hi all i am back with my update. yesterday i used the outboard for a ride of around 45 min @ abut 3500/4000rpm as it was not possible to go at WOT as the sea was a bit rough now today i inspected the thermostat and found that most of the salts or calcium has gone and i noticed too that when i was rinsing it the pee pipe had more pressure and even from the gear case was flowing water from some holes. now i thing that i have to give a good rinse the inner parts of the block with some product that destroys the calcium. Thanks Jason

Hi i have the same problem again i have checked the thermostats again ant the one on the cylinder head is clean and the one on the engine block was nearly blocked with this type of paste which i don t know what it is or if it is salt / calcium or galvanic corrosion. i am not using any more salt inhibitor and i am using well water. can someone tell me how can i find what it is and what may cause it. the strange thing is why only in the engine block. thanks

Back