Logo

Is it a brain fart or is something out of place?

jwilkstn

Hi, new here but learned a lot from reading other threads and studying parts diagrams. I'm working on a Mariner 9.9M (Japanese made I think in 1985) that sat unused for probably a decade before my uncle decided to revive it last year. He had a shop go through it then and while I am not 100% on what all was done to it, it appears (and he thinks) that the carburetor was thoroughly cleaned and rebuilt. I haven't gotten to the lower unit yet, so hopefully the impeller was replaced also. Anyway, uncle never got around to using it and I got it off of him for a good price. New fuel line and primer along with fresh gas, and off to the river. Started right up, idled good enough, and steady stream from the pee hole, so I let her warm up and took off up the river. Half a mile later I go to turn around and it dies mid-turn when the throttle is at it's lowest. After that, wouldn't start.
My steps: removed fuel filter (had particles in filter) and cleaned. Removed air intake and carb, disassembled and cleaned (looked okay to begin with). Re-assembled and connected throttle linkage and fuel line entering fuel pump.
Problem: there is a small black tube (seems like a vacuum tube?) protruding from the upper port side of the carb that I don't remember disconnecting. I can't figure out where it goes, and I cannot locate it in any of the parts diagrams for this motor available on this site. Any idea what it does and where it belongs?

I believe you are talking about a scavenger hose that will (recycle) excess gas/oil from the reeds.

So with the carb mounted that little hose will be on the right side of the throat (if you are looking down the throat). It should go over to the left side of the carb, slightly above the carb itself to a check valve protruding from the (intake) at/near the reed cage.

You will have to remove the air intake (probably) to see it.

Yes, the perspective as if you are sitting in the boat looking at the carb with the engine mounted in it's normal position.

Thanks so much! I don't think it was connected to begin with because I swear I didn't disconnect it from there haha, but the great news is that my attempt at tearing apart a carburetor worked to perfection. She's running great now! Thanks again

Back