Logo

classic fifty leg removal

kingbuzo

classic fifty red stripe - serial number A744851 (not sure of year- thinking 80's)

-2 stroke /4 cylinder
-manual tilt
-electric start + pull start

picked up boat and motor for cheap....got it running good and not sure of the maintenance of this motor so starting from scratch.....

trying to replace impeller:

ive got all bolts and nuts off with the leg dropped about 3/16 of an inch....but will go no further..

i didnt think i need to disconnect shift rod from under carbs on these models?

i cant disconnect the reverse tilt lock..and i am unsure of what this leg is hung up on....hopefully not siezed to the crank.

what am i missing here? what have i forgotten to disconnect...?

thank you for your help =)

2 nuts at the front...i bolt to the removable rotation skeg (or what ever its called), the bolt under that and another nut under the bottom just behind skeg....thats it...it has seperated with a 3/16 gap...

this is what the manual says:

Check again to be sure the lower unit is in FORWARD gear.

Scribe a trim tab reference mark on the anti-cavitation plate. This mark will ensure the trim tab will be installed back at the same angle.

On many models retainers for the trim-tab zinc require a 12-point socket (often 7/16" in size) for removal.

Remove the plastic cap from the rear edge of the exhaust housing. Insert the proper size wrench into the hole and remove the trim tab adjusting bolt, and then the trim tab.

After removing the trim tab, remove the nut from the recess.

Remove the 5/8 in. nut from the bottom middle of the anti-cavitation plate.

Loosen the 5/8 in. nut located on each side of the exhaust housing. DO NOT attempt to remove these two nuts at this time.

Separate the lower unit from the exhaust housing as far as the nuts and studs will permit. Hold the lower units from falling and at the same time remove the two nuts.

Remove the lower unit from the intermediate housing.

racerron is the highlighted red what you are talking about....? i cannot locate this plastic piece to remove...this has to be it...this motor is manual tilt with reverse lock

Back