Logo

Yamaha 2.5 hp Not Starting

hayesave15

Hello, I have never used this forum before so please let me know if I should have done something differently regarding this post. The reason I am posting here is because I have a question about a small Yamaha outboard that I recently purchased.

The motor is a 2.5 hp 4-stroke. I got it new, and it only has about 15 hours on it. I followed the manual's break-in instructions and changed the oil and gear lube afterwards.

It's been running ok, but on Saturday I had been using it at full speed for about 25 minutes when I hit something (a log or something) so I used the kill switch to shut it off. Then when I tried to restart it, it would not start at all. Eventually, about an hour later, I got it to start, and then it ran fine back to the dock, but I haven't used it since. Could I have maybe just flooded the engine by killing it while it was hot, or could there be some other problem?

Initially when it would not start, I started cranking the heck out of trying to get it to start. I later read that it's not good to crank a motor more than a couple times every two minutes or it could cause some sort of damage. Is that true? Can you damage a motor by cranking it like a mad man?

Thanks to anyone who can give some advice!

Ian

Last edited:
Did the motor flip up when you hit the log? That will send the sump oil and fuel in the carb everywhere and it can take a while to settle again. I wouldn't worry too much about it if no physical damaged to the leg or bracket occurred.

Lots of cranking can overheat the starter motor, but isn't really a problem for the motor itself provided it has oil.

Stuart

Yes, it definitely did flip up. I think it actually locked into the upright position, which it why I killed it immediately. Good to know that was most likely the problem.

Thanks for answering!

Back