Logo

girl help please! boat will not take much gas!!

alabama susan

I have a 1997 center console welcraft boat, it has recently started pouring out gas out of the fuel hole that you put gas in. It will take about 71/2 gallons of fuel and then it will start running back out. I know that it is empty, because I made sure. It is a 50 gal tank. Need help Please!!

it has recently started pouring out gas out of the fuel hole that you put gas in.

Ayuh,..... Especially if it just started doin' this,... I gotta agree with jim,....

Ayuh,.... The vent line starts at the tank, usually near the fill,....

You may, or may not have a deck hatch there,....

The other end is probably a chrome thru-hull fittin', again usually near the fill,....

Sometimes accessible from up-under a gunnel,....

It's usually a 5/8" rubber hose, hose clamped at each end,...
It should loop Up at the thru-hull fittin', then down to the tank,....

Usually plugged at the through-hull fitting, so start there. I kind of get the impression that you're not real familiar with working on fuel systems, so just a few words of caution- remember you're working with gasoline, so be careful with any tools, etc, that could cause a spark. Always best to have a fire extinguisher and a friend standing by.

usually insects make a mess out of the screens in the vent fitting rendering it unable to "breathe" so it doesn't provide a vent function. The vent "thru hull" is usually mounted close to the fill fitting....but under the rubrail.

Another reason is the vent hose has a "dip" that fills with liquid (fuel, hopefully) which inhibits the venting....

As the tank is filled with fuel, the air in the tank has to escape (preferably thru the vent hose). If it can't get out, the gasoline backs up in the filler pipe similar to your description.

Yep, Mako is correct. Blockage in the fitting is usually those dammmed mud-dauber wasps, or sometimes, wood particles from the boat rubbing against a wooden dock. Have you had a look yet?

no, I havent had a chance to work with it yet, but I am going to give all of your suggestions to my brother and see if we cant get it fixed. Thank you guys so much for taking the time to try and help me, This forum is GREAT!!!

Back