Logo

Mercruiser 350 - odd setup

bvahnee

I just picked up a used Mercruiser 350 that has a carburetor and the "newer" style electronic controlled distributor. The kind of distributor that you would find on a Chevy TPI engine, 2 and 4 pin connectors.

Im baffled. I come from a background of automotive experience and am used to seeing fuel injection with the TPI system distributors or a carburetor with a coil-in-cap style distributor. Its worth noting this is a Vortec cylinder head engine.

Whats more odd is the 4-pin connector isnt connected and I cant seem to find the plug anywhere. Does this sound like something Mercruiser did?

I apologize I did not pull any part numbers before I left work today.
Thanks for any insight you may be able to give.

If this is a MPI motor with a crankshaft sensor, the flat crab cap serves to distribute the high voltage spark, nothing is connected to it.

what is the part number/serial number of the engine?

That will give us a clue about what you are asking............

I'm in the process of having my brother find the serial number now, I was busy earlier transferring the manifolds and accessory drive to the new block.

I did look at where the crank sensor should be and it seems like it's got a little black plug in it. It does have the timing cover with the provision for the sensor.

I attached a picture of the coil module if that helps until I can provide the serial number.

Edit: turns out it's actually a "marine power" replacement engine for mercs
Model # E5 7V MR1

serial : 25878

Last edited:
Back