Logo

Big Honda Outboards and Oil

chawk_man

Silver Medal Contributor
My 225 just turned 1700 hours so it’s 100-hour maintenance time again.

So I drove the hour to my original dealer to buy various filters, O rings and so forth. These folks have been Honda dealers for many, many years, and now are also a Yamaha dealer. They have a large operation with several full time marine mechanics on permanent staff and an absolutely great parts department. They have always been highly trustworthy and have done excellent work on my engines, although they are certainly not cheap – you get what you pay for.

I asked the owner what oil they were recommending these days. To my utter surprise, they are now using and recommending the Mercury SAE 25W-40 in all of their big outboard engines (NMMA FC-W [Catalyst Compatible].) I asked why they were doing that. He explained that they have been tracking engine failures for over 10 years now and that around 15% of them have had major failures, mostly due to lubrication problems. They finally figured out that a lot of owners were putting up their boats in early fall and not re-launching until late spring. Even though they are mostly doing the right things for long term storage, they were starting their engines dry of lubricant because all of it had drained into the pan leaving no residual lubrication on the bearings and thrust points.

This seemed to make sense to me, given how the engine is oriented vertically and the number of revolutions it would typically take to get oil to all of the required areas at initial startup – bearings, cylinder walls, rings, cam, rocker arms, etc. It also is a good explanation of why the frequent users, like the USCG, commercial fishermen, and year-round recreational fishermen have few problems with their big engine Hondas and get many thousands of hours out of them.

Anyway, according to him, the Mercury SAE 25W-40 supposedly stays on the bearings, rings, rockers, etc. longer and leaves more of a residual lubricant over a longer period of time. He cites evidence that the failure rates due to lubrication issues have dropped significantly since they have switched over. (I suspect that any top notch marine-specific SAE 25W-40 would do the same thing.)

This observation MAY also make the case for those oils that claim to provide a more permanent residual coating to critical surfaces, like Castrol GTX MAGNATEC, AMSOIL, NanoLub, and so forth.

As a side note, remember that a 25W-40 oil initially flows somewhat slower than a 10W-40 oil at initial “cold” start up. Also note that marine engines, especially outboards, seldom get to the same operating temperatures as an auto engine (approximately 200 F), so in this case the viscosity rating of “40” is seldom attained with an outboard.

Just thought I would pass this along for consideration.

Follow up:

Received a private message on this post. So here are the additions:

If your engine is under warranty, then stick with the Honda recommended 10W-30 UNLESS the dealer and the Honda Rep agree that the 25W-40 will not violate the warranty.

I would be wary of switching to 25W-40 if operating in very cold water environments.

BTW - talked to a local friend who is a marine mechanic by profession and he said he has been using 25W-40 in almost all the outboards he services for a very long time.

So I have always used 10w-30
2700 hrs .. 25w/40 is what I should be using now ?my buatcsits maybe a month or so in jan and feb

Jamie - your call. I'm just passing on what I heard from now two reputable dealers/mechanics. Given the age of your engines and the fact that you are in Florida, I don't see any problems with the 25W-40.

Skooter - what is "delo"????

OK. Same advice I gave to Jamie - your call.

But you also have an older engine that is way out of warranty, and you operate in a warm water environment, so I see no problem with the SAE 25W-40.

I think this really boils down to how often you use the engine. If you are operating year around and not putting it up for multiple months, most any good engine oil will work for you. Where my two sources identified the problem was with those owners who were putting up their boats for 5, 6, 7 months each year.

Aloha from the 50th state,

I haven't been on this forum for a while. Things have been great with my Honda 50's till recently. I can't figured out why one of my 50's continue to misfire even after going through a rigorous process of elimination to find out the problem. I've done plug changes, coil wire change, check gas flow, overhaul carbs, sink them, you name it. At idle it may run smooth for a while then start missing. At high rpms she bogs down. I've checked all the mechanics and it appears to be operative. I was wondering can it be anything else electronically? Any feed back would be helpful or advice. I physically inspected the valves and they seem fine. Not sure what else to do.

For:
http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/member.php?60484-bmousser

Let me add to that excellent advice from @chawk_man that from top, above "Sub-Forums" list or you need to scroll all the way to bottom of Thread List and click the blue rectangle labeled:
[+Post New Thread] And choose as descriptive (of problem) a name for your Thread as possible to generate best responses.

Hawaii !!! What a fantastic location for you to enjoy the Pacific!
Art

I can see the benefit of using a higher viscosity cold end oil in warmer climates, but would like to add that most engine wear damage will happen from cold starting. In so much that those of us in colder climates (Scandinavia myself) should take into account the climate they live in. I use a 5w-40 magnatech due to the cold and am reluctant to change. I think a good point to stress is to run your motor warm...Always

.....They finally figured out that a lot of owners were putting up their boats in early fall and not re-launching until late spring. Even though they are mostly doing the right things for long term storage, they were starting their engines dry of lubricant because all of it had drained into the pan leaving no residual lubrication on the bearings and thrust points.

I'm not sure I buy this. So the dealers/makers are implying these failures are all the fault of owners. That much of the major wear leading to these failures is occurring in a few seconds once every year?! Yes, copious amounts of oil don't remain in the bearings, but "dry"? I think that's a stretch. Enough to cause major failure? I'm wondering.......maybe some shifting of blame here.

Maybe the dealers/makers only later on figured out they should have been recommending higher visc oil from the beginning, after failures started showing up.

Down here in the Gulf, where we make 2 hr runs routinely, the experienced mechanics I know recommend 20-40, or thereabouts. They have for a long time......10-30 is too light for long runs at 4200rpms.

It seems to me that it's possible the dealers/makers have come up with the right conclusion, but late to the game. In the meantime, they can't fess up, or risk claims.

Plausible or paranoid?

Folks - I'm just passing along advice I received from a very reputable dealer. These folks are local and have been in business for a long time. They keep meticulous records on every engine they service. I've personally switched over to the Mercury 25W-40.

Dean - I think that the Castrol Magnatech is accomplishing the same thing by permanently coating the wear surfaces with some sort of polymer as I noted in my original post.

Back