Logo

85 120 Johnson Help

ToolMan41

Hey guys, new member here, so take it easy on me! :) Looks like a lot of good information as well as some good guys on here.

I've got an old 85 Skeeter SF115 with an 85 120 Johnson (J120TLCO). I screwed up when I bought this boat, taking the guy's word that it ran fine but had sat for a couple of years and he had no muffs, plus there were no batteries in it. Long story short, it runs like a one-legged chicken!
The problems are it has an exhaust pop and quiver at idle, plus a mid-range misfire that, if it was a four stroke, I would swear was a bad plug wire. Top end is great and the boat will run 55+.

Compression runs 105-110 on all four cylinders, the carbs have been cleaned and rebuilt, and it has new plug wires and a new powerpack. Both I and the mechanic I've had working on it have found several things wrong with it from an apparent previous rebuild, including a pinched fuel line to the bottom carb, incorrectly installed plug wire (terminal pulled back in the boot instead of connected to the coil), burned plug wire, etc. but none of it has made a real big difference.
The VRO has been disconnected and the fuel is mixed at a 50:1 ratio and I regularly run StaBil and Sea Foam in it.

Oh yeah, another thing that I've noticed is that I can pull the trigger wire on each coil and it makes very little difference except for the top right cylinder and it will almost kill the motor. Another thing is, the regulator wires connect to the terminal block are (I think) all supposed to be color matched ie: both gray wires on one screw, both yellow on one, etc. but mine is wired with the gray wire off the regulator going to a screw by itself (doing nothing), and the mating gray attached to the screw with the two yellow wires. When I switch them around like I think they should be, the sound of the motor changes, but it gets hard to start and once started, it lacks power to the point of dying when you put it in gear.
This leads me to think that it's all electrical related, but I don't have a wiring diagram to go off of.

Any ideas?

If you think you want to keep this boat and engine you need to get the service manual for the exact engine probably offof ebay because other issues will surface Good luck

The miss at idle if it sounds like a carburetor spitting back is due to a carburetor running lean... leaking O Ring, air bleed idle jet too large, something of that nature.

The screwed up wiring indicates that the owner rigged the tachometer gray lead to connect with the stator yellow lead to bypass the voltage regulator/rectifier assembly which is no doubt faulty resulting in a no battery charge condition and a non functioning tachometer if connected/wired properly.

Thanks for the ideas guys. Will, I'm not going to keep it, I just don't want to stick the next owner with the same problems. Joe, thanks for the wiring info, that makes sense.

Back