Logo

'74 Lightning Energizer ignition -- help with rotor and cap???

Grumpy Bear

Regular Contributor
See pic. I'm guessing the rotor must come off before I can remove the rest of the cap? Either way, obviously, both must come off, and it's stuck on pretty tight. I have a wire (white or blue, not sure which) that is shorting and need to get to them underneath. The plastic is old, combined with all the heat over the years, is fairly brittle and I don't want to crack or chip it up horribly trying to pry it.

Any ideas how this thing is supposed to come off??

Thank you!
Kevin

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 265
The rotor is listed at about $400.-------So work carefully.

I've seen that. Disgusting, frankly. Almost all rotors (even for those NLA) go for $10, less, or a little bit more. They're plastic, for Christ sake! The $400 parts are a money-making scam. On Ebay I can get them for significantly less ($100 or less), and even on this website they are $175 new. Special tool or no, you won't get this 40 year old plastic part off without breaking it no matter how careful. Take heed. I tried. Used a blowtorch.

Used a blowtorch.

Just an edit: I didn't use a blow torch on the rotor. I used that on the set screws to get the coils out so I could replace the wires that were shorting. The rotor I gently and slowly pried it up using the plate under it and a couple of screwdrivers.

Back