Logo

Mallory caps

cruzman

Why are Mallory caps different colors? I am having an ignition problem with my 1987 Crusuader 350/270. I replaced the dist a few years back. Then I installed a Perko electronic ign sys in. The dist is a YL and came with a blue cap. Now I have a black cap and the engine won't run right. Almost like it is missing. Not backfiring like crossed wires, but not firing.

Why are Mallory caps different colors? I am having an ignition problem with my 1987 Crusuader 350/270. I replaced the dist a few years back. Then I installed a Perko electronic ign sys in. The dist is a YL and came with a blue cap. Now I have a black cap and the engine won't run right. Almost like it is missing. Not backfiring like crossed wires, but not firing.

Ayuh,..... The color of the plastic is irrelevant,...

Are ya sure is a spark skip, 'n not from a Lean condition,..??

I have been chasing this problem for a while. Both carbs have been rebuilt. Everything has been replaced except the ignition switch. Harness checked as well. I did some research on the caps and it seems that. Although they look the same. there are different inside dia for different caps. Wasen.t sure if that was the reason for the different colors. She starts and runs for about 20 min. Then dies. The cap that is on there is from last season. I took it off to have a look and it looks like it just came out of the box. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thx
Ayuh,..... The color of the plastic is irrelevant,...

Are ya sure is a spark skip, 'n not from a Lean condition,..??

did you check the wires.....and the timing advance?
This week I pulled the distributer and number 1 plug. Found TDC on compression stroke and reinstalled the distributer with the rotor at number 1 on the cap. Also changed the plugs. I found #5 plug was somehow smashed. No gap at all. I am assuming it wasen.t firing at all. Took her out for an overnight trip and she ran just fine. Still trying to figure out the smashed plug. Now I am wondering if cyl #5 could have gotten loaded with fuel and stalled the engine. I would think that the fuel would exit via the exhaust valve.

If the piston smashed the electrode, there should be indicators on the top of the piston....but without a borescope, it will be tough to see...that said, I'm thinking you found the miss.

As far as the fuel stalling the engine, it depends where in the cycle the fuel entered the cylinder.

The engine has been running fine. I am thinking that possibly I dropped the plug when installing it. Either that or poss hydrolok from the fuel. ( drop a spark twice. Once on the ground. Then once in the trash.)

Back