Logo

Mariner - Yamaha Parts Cross Reference?

I have a 1982 30 HP Mariner, Japanese made. I understand it is basically a late '70's Yamaha.

I've read that the Yamaha parts are a lot cheaper than the Mercury/Mariner parts. I have purchased a 4-pack of Yamaha LU washers for the price of 1 under the Mercury label. I assume other "consumables" (impellers, etc.) have a similar Yamaha price advantage.

But, I don't know how to determine the correct Yamaha part number to fit my Mariner. Is there a cross-reference somewhere?

Post up your whole model/serial number (eg. 6E9 L 12345 or whatever) and I (or someone else here) can cross ref it for you to the Yamaha model that it's a clone of...

30 - horsepower
E - electric start (from factory)
L - long shaft (built for a 20" transom)

689 - Yamaha (code) which translates into a Yamaha model 30AE built between 1979 and 1985 (mechanically the same)

407533 - the actual serial number of the motor

Hello Everyone,

Hello Everyone,

I am in the same boat! I was given a 8 HP mariner (I think to be early 80's). I am looking to cross reference this with the Yamaha because I cannot locate anything with my model and serial. (I think it is a Yamaha)

I am trying to find the impeller part number
Oil / Gas mix ratio
Lower Gear Oil Type

The information on the outboard is below.
Mariner 8M
6G1 S 020558

Thanks for the help!
Mark

Attachments

• IMG_4342.jpg
    IMG_4342.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 131
6G1 is the Yami designation for a Yamaha Model 8C which began production in 1982 (don't have the range of the model run, so don't know when it ceased production).

S - short shaft (15") - no other designators indicate it came as a "rope start"/non-electric start, not oil injected etc "from factory" (supported by the "8M" on the tag indicating an 8 horse "manual").

020558 - indicates it was produced as a 1985 model

gas/oil is 50:1 for just about every outboard on the planet built in the 70's onward

lower gear oil is where you have some (choice) - pretty much any GL5 rated gear oil (the GL5 rating basically means that it will not "foam up" if it encounters water/moisture) will be more than satisfactory. You can use 80W90 which is (kinda standard), but any of the other weights would not pose a problem - and unless you have money to burn, there is no need to go with a synthetic. If you change the gear oil annually, which should be done, you don't need anything that can hold up to Nascar standards :)

As far as your impeller part number goes, this site sells them - both OEM and Sierra - check out part number 24 on this link and you will find both numbers... http://www.marineengine.com/parts/m.../6g1007990-thru-027237-m/gearhousing-assembly

Regarding the 100:1

Now, back in the 80's both Yamaha and OMC marketed a bunch of models that had the 100:1 recommendation. OMC came out a year or two later with a service notice stating that unless the motor was used in "sustained high speed operation" that the mix ratio should be adjusted to 50:1.

I never heard/saw anything from Yami saying they found any issue and have heard "third or fourth hand" that they ran fine at 100:1

Personally I would run at 50:1 unless you end up getting spark plug fouling and especially if you use the motor for longer periods at lower rpms (below 3000'ish) - so trolling, running canals with no wake zones etc. Plus too, given the age of the motor we don't know how much, if any, wear has occurred in the bearings etc - so running a little oil rich may not be a bad thing.

(edit) - Sorry, my quote about the 100:1 may have been backwards (about when you could run 100:1) - here is the notice from OMC - you can have a read and decide for yourself...

100to1.jpg

Last edited:
the GL5 rating basically means that it will not "foam up" if it encounters water/moisture)
The API GL rating is for the extreme pressure (EP) rating....has nothing to do with foaming. Anti-foam agents are used for this along with a emulsifiers to prevent break down from water intrusion.

Galamb, I have a 2003 Merc 115. I understand it is basically a Yamaha. Would love to know which Yamaha it is, for tracking down parts. Right now think it needs a new idle air control valve, and the new Merc part is almost $400 many places. Would greatly appreciate it if you could cross reference it! SN OT645596 2003 115ELPT4S
Thanks!

30 - horsepower
E - electric start (from factory)
L - long shaft (built for a 20" transom)

689 - Yamaha (code) which translates into a Yamaha model 30AE built between 1979 and 1985 (mechanically the same)

407533 - the actual serial number of the motor
Hi. We have a 30 hp Mariner that I believe is a 1982 - serial number is 689S 013612. Given your previous response, is the 689S the Yamaha number and if so, would ours also be the 30AE? Thank you!

689 S 013612 makes up what Yamaha refers to as the primary identification number. PID for short.

689 is the prefix for a family of Yamaha models. For instance, 30AE, 30AM, 30AEM, 30FM, 30FEO...

S denotes the shaft length.

013612 is the serial number.

Serial number 013612 is shown as being a Yamaha 1982 model 30AM.

The E may very well indicate electric start whereas the M may indicate it is a manual start model.

Back