Logo

mercruiser 165 inline 6 ticking under load.

stupidboat101

I have a 73' mercruiser 165 inline 6. It was running bad so I took the head off, found water in cylinder 5 and 6, turns out the manifold gasket was to blame. new head gasket goes on, new manifold gasket, new carb to manifold gasket and new head bolts. now I put it all back together and theres a ticking only under load. I've adjusted the rocker arms 3 times already. I can see smoke coming from the choke tube inside the manifold. do you think this could be the cause? I plan on drilling out the tube and tapping both ends and putting a brass plug in both. I should say the boat only taps under load. I can rev it in neutral and no tick, and I can put the muffs on and rev it in gear and I get no tick..... only in the lake does it tick and its driving me nuts! any help is appreciated.

a metallic sounding clock could just be the exaust shutter hitting inside the exaust pipe
anther cause could be ping or detonation

it gets louder as the rpms go up. sounds like valves ticking, which Is why ive adjusted them 3 times. are the shutters in the exhaust manifold? because I put a can of octane booster in as well and still the same.

Any other ideas on ticking under load only? and the waves kind of silence the ticking at times..... I guess when a wave comes there is less pressure on the prop or something? I dunno.

Back