Logo

Newbie Buying used Honda BF20D

Rewinder

Trying to confirm all the codes on a soon new to me 2012 Honda BF20 20hp short shaft, tiller motor. So far I've narrowed it down somewhat with a Parts model search which shows Models made between BAMJ-1000000-1100000. My #'s are BF20 BFP20D BAMJ-1006430 Is this really a 2012 or ? . The year letters D is what it the confusing part. D1 should be a 2001, but this is supposedly a 2012. Should it be DK or DL? as K is the eleventh letter in the alphabet and L is the Twelveth . So far I've guess BF20D?SHA. Seller doesn't have the original sales receipt from the dealer as he was second party and I'm third party buyer. Going to look at the motor tomorrow. Randy

Last edited:
New info.. BAMJ-1400435 on motor. Seems closer to correct year and BEAMJ-1026016 Next to fuel filter. What would this second # represent. Trying to learn on the fast track. And can Honda track the motor serial# to the dealership that the motor was shipped to. Randy

Last edited:
The first serial number that you gave indicates it is a BF20D3LHA. This is a long shaft (20" transom height) .Original purchase date was 5/13/2003 in the state of Washington.

The second number is a BF20DKSH. Original purchase date is 8/19/2006, also in the State of Washington. The BEAMJ number is the powerhead serial number. The first number is the frame number. That is the number to use when looking for parts. This is a short shaft motor (15" transom height)

Yes, Honda can track it to the dealer.

Sorry, it is not a 2012.

Mike

THANKS, was getting cold feet after the guy said that he didn't look into getting sales receipts and documentation after finding out that it could be still under warranty, And couldn't find bill of sales for his purchase. Randy

When you check it out....I am assuming that you do not have the ability to take compression.

Instead of having the selling just start the engine on a hose, see if you and see how it operates on the water.

The real key to the lifespan of these motors is regular routine maintenance.

If you need an owner's manual, you can download one for free from Honda http://marine.honda.com/support/manuals/models/BF20

Good luck!

Mike

He wanted to meet at a store in town to make the transaction. So my Chief Financial Officer (wife) said no dice without some kind of warranty and seeing it run in person. And the misrepresentation drew red flags. Maybe he did not know, I don't know. Wife said we'll by new. going to hurt the retirement a bit. but pay once, cry once. I'll just have to retire a month later. I'll be back with more question on which brand to buy for around three grand. 15hp to 20hp Thanks, Randy

I like the way your CFO thinks! I'm not sure you can get a 20 Honda for 3K but if you can swing the purchase of one....you will NOT be sorry. Absolutely the finest....toughest....most reliable outboard ever made pound for pound.

That is....as long as you ALWAYS use FRESH, QUALITY, fuel.
Drain your carb for any layup longer than a few days.
Change the oil and filter ON TIME.
Maintain the cooling system. IE: new waterpump KIT (not just impeller) AT LEAST every third season. New thermostat every 3-4 seasons.
Fresh NGK plugs every other season to protect the coils
Change gear oil "regularly" as in once a season or so.
Check/adjust valve lash every other season.
New timing belt at 10 years.

All things you can do yourself if you hold your tongue just right.

It's a big motor so get the trim n tilt if you can afford it.

We used these in a rental fleet for years......abused and NEVER serviced for five years after purchase!...before I got there.....And STILL...after a little TLC...they ALL started and ran like BUTTER! VERY FEW to NO problems with the design and maintenance of this outboard.

Just my $0.02

Good luck!

There is a slight hitch. I have to come up with the money. She'll ok it if I pay for it. The money is not coming out of the family treasury. Only solution that I have is to sell accrued vacation time. Four weeks would cover the cost. $270 in taxes if I buy it in state. No sales tax and possible free shipping would save $500 it purchased online out of state like online outboard. Have a pending at Boat.net Does Honda have a policy that a PDI must be preformed at a service center and will Honda pay for it or is that another expense. Supposedly Yamaha has a PDI requirement. Any reference for online retailers . Randy

Last edited:
You do the pdi. The shipper is just supposed to put oil in the carton for you to use and instructions to check the manual for proper amount. So...it is up to you to do it all.

There is a benefit from buying from the local dealer. They should go over the manual and the motor, so that you know all about the motor and are comfortable with it before you leave. Most will have you start the engine and review how to maintain it yourself, if you so desire.

If you buy on line, the instructions from Honda are to call the selling dealer if you have questions or warranty problems. I like that (from a local dealer point of view)

Can you tell by my comments that we do not ship outboards. We actually put the first two hours of breakin all Hondas before the customer even touches it. If there is an issue (very rare), we take care of it right away. We probably average at least an hour of time with the customer when they pick it up. We even throw in a bottle of fuel treatment to get them started.

I can not tell you, how many new Tohatsu's come up screwed up, because the customer did not not know to put it in water before starting, put in oil, not to put in too much oil, put short shaft on long shaft boat....you have the picture. Tohatsu says to go to the local dealer. Then we get caught in the middle of the he said/she said between Tohatsu and the customer. Oh...and guess what....their workorder goes to the end of the line and may not be addressed for two to three weeks. If there is a problem with one that we sell, it goes to the head of the line.

There! I got that out of my system.

I know in reality, that we all try to get the best deal that we can for anything we buy. Just make your purchase wisely. If you have a good local dealer, whether it is a Yamaha or Honda or whatever, give them a chance to at least bid on your business. Develop a relationship with them. Only you can determine if the dealer will provide you with a value that is worth the price difference.

OK....I'm finished.

Mike

PS I strongly agree with jgmo....the Honda 20 is a super strong engine.

Okay Hondadude. I had to spend a little money to build and keep a relationship with my wife. So I'll spend a little money on my new Honda motor dealer and service dept. Thanks, Now to go and stimulate the economy. Randy

Picking up my, or shall I say my wifes new BF20D 20hp motor Thursday. Previous owner of our Smokercraft Alaskan notched out a wedge in the transom 5" deep by 14"wide for a short shaft motor. I want to fill this. Not really a problem, but I need to know the length of the outside transom mount bracket. Want to reinforce the transom with 1/4" aluminum plate and need to know how far down I need to go 24" wide by 12", 14", 16". Don't want to sheet the whole back end. That could be spendy. Thanks, Randy

Picking up my, or shall I say my wifes new BF20D 20hp motor Thursday. Previous owner of our Smokercraft Alaskan notched out a wedge in the transom 5" deep by 14"wide for a short shaft motor. I want to fill this. Not really a problem, but I need to know the length of the outside transom mount bracket. Want to reinforce the transom with 1/4" aluminum plate and need to know how far down I need to go 24" wide by 12", 14", 16". Don't want to sheet the whole back end. That could be spendy. Thanks, Randy

Okay, after some research. Top holes 1 7/8" from top of transom, bottom holes 8" lower plus 2" for good measure 12" to 14" X 24"wide ought to be good. With the notch in the transom fitted with 2 pieces of 3/4" marine grade plywood, sealed and sandwiched between the two pieces of aluminum plate, one inside and outside, bolted together spaced every 4". Should hold. Randy

The 20 remote with power tilt, that we have here have a mounting bracket that is 13" top to bottom. So your 14 x 24 should be more than enough.

If you do not have power tilt, then the bracket is smaller, but I do not know the size. The one mentioned above will be the largest that the 20 HP has.

Mike

hondadude can you tell me if there is a kit from honda or aftermarket that will allow me to install just the throttle remote to my BF20d non electric start and non power tilt engine.Also can I purchase a remote control box for just the throttle with a saftey engine shutoff.Sorry for hijacking your thread rewinder.

Not to worry Cattmann. Just remember that on HondaDudes recommendation I just spent a THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE on what I wanted and that was PEACE OF MIND on my purchase. Thanks HondaDude, Now back to u-tube to learn how to change a water pump impeller on a Honda BF20D. Randy

Not to worry Cattmann. Just remember that on HondaDudes recommendation I just spent a THOUSAND DOLLARS MORE on what I wanted and that was PEACE OF MIND on my purchase. Thanks HondaDude, Now back to u-tube to learn how to change a water pump impeller on a Honda BF20D. Randy

I just finished installing a water pump kit in my Bf20 today.First time for me also.No big deal.Just have to take your time and watch that the key and o-ring stay in place when sliding the pump cover in place.I might sell mine and purchase a power tilt engine.

I should not have to worry about for a couple years, and then I'll probably have the service tech do it, but its fun to learn how. Randy

Back