Logo

1993 Johnson 150 acceleration problem

eyekon218

Hey all, new to the forum!

I just purchased a 1994 Lund Gran Tyee 1850 which came with a 1993 Johnson 150 on it (my first boat). The engine will start without issue on first key turn (if ball is primed). It will idle all day long without issue. I can run the boat around the lake all day at about 18 to 19 MPH. When I try to give it more throttle it will start to cut out and in the process of doing so the engine will start to vibrate (i think this is due to it rapid cutting out over/over). If i pull back on the throttle down then it runs perfectly again. I have personally had it out on the lake twice since purchasing it. The first time I took it out it performed like this so I took it over to the Marina and purchased some Fuel Stabilizer, but saw no immediate improvement. Well 3 hours later, before getting off the lake I thought id give it a try again - and this time it ran perfectly, i was able to get up to right around 48MPH with no issues. I thought maybe the Fuel Stabilizer did work but was taking its time to do so. Well the next time I took the boat out (about 2 weeks later) I experienced the same issue. However, it never did correct itself or start to run properly - another 18 to 19MPH day.

The individual I purchased the boat from took me out on the lake in it and it did the same thing that day (we were out about 30 minutes). The guy seemed genuinely surprised at this and told me that the ONLY change he made in the last week was the brand of Oil he had been using all these years. The Evinrude Johnson XD 50 2-Cycle oil was not in stock so he purchased and put Mercury 2-Stroke Optimax oil in instead. The mechanic I took the boat to for a check up after purchasing it said the type of oil will make no difference. He looked the carburetor's over and saw no problems (checked floats, emptied gas, saw no signs of issue, etc). He replaced all 6 spark plugs because he said they were fouled and the couple he showed me were very black. He also changed out the lower control oil - and commented that it looked like it had been a couple years since that had been done. He said the prop shaft (not sure if this is correct term) was not bent and had no issues. As to why he didn't put ear-muffs on the thing and start it up to verify the work he did corrected the issue, I've no idea!

I talked with a friend who is a boat mechanic (unfortunately 6 states away) and he suggested that the next time this occurs to reach back and pump that ball (while its happening) because he thinks it may be fuel pump related. I have not had a chance to do this yet and was hoping to get some other thoughts/opinions before trying this.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. A friend told me recently that BOAT was an acronym for "break out another thousand" -- I do hope that this is not the case for me!

Thanks!

Back