Logo

1964 Merc 850

Wetbiker

Hello, new member looking for thoughts. My wife has found a boat she fell in love with. A near perfect condition Slickcraft with a Merc 850. Story is it was lightly used for 5 years then parked in a garage until recently. The condition supports the story. Also comes with all paperwork from orig purchase.

My question is how usable and servicable is this engine? Is it reliable when everything is set up correctly? I have been doing research and learned a little about it but wanted feedback in real time instead of looking at 5 year old posts.

I'm big into Wetbikes so not a stranger to high maintenance and sourcing obsolete parts.

Thanks for the wisdom ahead of time.

The impeller, all fuel hoses, and other things will need attending to.

Jeff

Yes, standard procedure. The fuel lines 'look' good but crackle when moved. I was asking about design and overall usability of this era of engine. Too late now, it is sitting in my driveway.

IMG_0763_zps6k1nw33x.jpg

IMG_0765_zpsorb8yqmu.jpg

IMG_0773_zpsjfkwf8wh.jpg

IMG_0771_zpsjdlmwxge.jpg

IMG_0762_zps7filwzh6.jpg

IMG_0766_zps5hfs51a9.jpg

IMG_0764_zps2ogxmgb4.jpg

IMG_0767_zpspwo3ckww.jpg

IMG_0768_zpsmjgolz60.jpg

IMG_0769_zpsajm3gp6e.jpg

Update-
Went to the antique boat show at Joe Wheeler state park last weekend in Alabama. Cruised a total of 40 miles along side the Chris Crafts and Gar Woods with no issues. The list consisted of carb kits with new floats and needles, new fuel line, fuel pump kits, plug wires, plugs and coils (worked but leaking oil). New water pump, prop shaft seal and input shaft seal. Had to work over the engine harness as the insulation was falling off some of the wires. Very impressed with how well it runs. It can idle for an extended amount of time and still pull the hole shot without a cough.

8 to 10, I checked for worst case scenario before buying the boat. The engine makes the package though. I get more comments on the engine then the boat. I didn't show it but it also has the bronze three blade prop from the original rigging. I guess the standard prop was a two blade aluminum, even on the 100hp engines.

IMG_0829_zpsqqkvfafd.jpg

IMG_0828_zps6wid2lfe.jpg

Thought I would give an update. Been out 10 or more times with no issues. Starts consistantly everytime and still idles great. Tested out the spot light when we got caught in thunderstorm after dinner one evening. 7 miles in driving rain back to the ramp, in the dark. Fun times. If I can remember to charge my GoPro I will get some video.

image_zpsuopsiwzx.jpg

We've clocked 40 MPH with four in the boat. Thats with neutral trim angle. It has the Quick Silver Ride Guide rack and pinion. It is original to the boat, listed on the dealer invoice. Out the door price was $2500 in August of 1964. I haven't opened the distributor cap yet. It has what I believe is the warranty seal cable still on it. It can be seen in one if the pictures above. Both coils firing with no miss fire. If it ain't broke....... Estimated time on the boat was 25 hours reported from the family we bought it from.

your wife has good taste be careful with that motor you won't ever find a better one ! make sure she's always getting enough fuel them big black beasts just love fuel

Last edited:
Back