Logo

1992 Yamaha 6 HP No water out of tell tale

Kris Winiarski

Outboard runs fine but doesnt seem to be peeing any water out of the tell tale. I s***** some mono through the tell tale and where the motor connects to the impeller housing. And shot the house through both ends to make sure it wasn't clogged. Impeller looked a little warped but not too bad. Should a pretty good stream be coming out when I hook up to ear muffs and let it rev up a bit? Perhaps a new impeller with straight blades makes all the difference. I imagine these small outboards have no alarm when they overheat?

The impeller blades are always curved, that is an essential part of their operation. So when you put the house up the pipe that connects to the water pump, did water come out the tell tale then? Does the impeller feel like it is spinning on the shaft or locked solidly (as it should be)? Have you tried it in a tub of water? Sometimes ear muffs can be slightly out of position and not feel enough water in.

Stuart

The impeller blades are always curved, that is an essential part of their operation. So when you put the house up the pipe that connects to the water pump, did water come out the tell tale then? Does the impeller feel like it is spinning on the shaft or locked solidly (as it should be)? Have you tried it in a tub of water? Sometimes ear muffs can be slightly out of position and not feel enough water in.

Stuart

Yeah, I put the hose up to the tell tale and had water coming through that pipe to the water pump. Today I took the plate off on the back of the engine and cleaned the thermostat and that housing but that didnt seem to be the issue. I did run it in a tub of water today instead of ear muffs to see if that could have been it. Maybe it is the impeller or perhaps I didn't connect that tube into the water pump housing putting it back together. I'll take it apart again and see if I can get it. Today it was just hot steam coming out of the tell tale after a few minutes of running... frustrating. Plus I definitely screwed up the F/N/R shifting settings on the engine.

Yes, in some outboards it can be really tricky to get the water pipe to mate cleanly with the water pump. Once I also had the rubber grommet get pushed into the pipe so be really careful with that connection. Try shining a torch in until the gap is too small to see. An extra pair of hands really helps here.

Stuart

Yes, in some outboards it can be really tricky to get the water pipe to mate cleanly with the water pump. Once I also had the rubber grommet get pushed into the pipe so be really careful with that connection. Try shining a torch in until the gap is too small to see. An extra pair of hands really helps here.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart. I took it back apart to find the impeller had broken apart and clogged the outtake. I think I put it in right (seems to only go on one way with the chuck) but didn't lube it up with anything, so maybe that was the issue. Makes sense as I thought I saw a brief stream for a second or two after I put it back together the first time.

Well, at least you've found the problem. Here is a vid I did on installing an impeller that may help: https://youtu.be/IqNk4P94wOs The other main trick is to make sure the blades of the impeller are bent in the correct direction for the rotation of your motor.

Stuart

Well, at least you've found the problem. Here is a vid I did on installing an impeller that may help: https://youtu.be/IqNk4P94wOs The other main trick is to make sure the blades of the impeller are bent in the correct direction for the rotation of your motor.

Stuart

Got the new waterpump in the mail and installed it this afternoon. Went to start up the motor and there was still no water from the tell tale. Hot steam or smoke started to come out after a few minutes and I just shut it off. Took it apart thinking I screwed something up but everything looked good. I then sprayed the hose into the water intake tube and watched water come out of the tell tale. One thing I did notice with my motor is that the tube just slides into that housing without any rubber grommet. Perhaps that is needed and someone long ago never replaced it when they did the water pump. If my thermostat was shot, wouldn't water still come out of the tell tale? Maybe the next step is to try to get an air compressor to spray out the whole system in case something is clogged. A little baffled at this point.

Some compressed air is a good idea, if you can blow the system backwards as you don't want to lodge any rubber further in. The parts breakdown for your motor will show you if there is a seal of any description required, but to be honest, if it is sliding in cleanly, most the of the water is still going to enter the cooling system if it isn't blocked. Can you see whether it is mating correctly as you put the leg back on or does it disappear out of sight before they connect?

Stuart

Back