Logo

Mercruiser 4.3 262 Magnum EFI Gen +

Hello everyone

I have a 1997 shakespeare 650 with the 262 vortex motor
I've only just bought the boat and it ran fine on the test , since then when i put it in the water it started and ran ok until i gave it some beans and it died it started and died every time i pushed the throttle

i had to keep the revs low to get back to the dock ,this problem slowly got worse until it wouldn't even start I did notice the the engine temp didn't move in the 10-15 mins it was running I thought it should have moved a bit could this have anything to do with fuel delivery ?

So here came the search for the engine problem , checked for a good spark which i have , I changed the fuel filter and made sure all the lines were free of dirt i seem to be getting fuel coming out of both injectors but not sure if it's enough as when i spray some more down the intake it fires up , there are two pumps a lift pump and the VST pump they both seem to be working i have even put a prob and gave them a live as i tried to start it , I also checked for compression and there was o on number 2 so i changed both heads that cured that .

But I still have the same problem it won't start unless I pour more fuel down the inlet manifold and it cuts out as soon as i stop. should I check the fuel pressure ?..does anyone know what this should be and the best way to do it ?....

Thanks for reading any help would be greatly appreciated

Back