Logo

96 johnson ocean runner 200hp

jatr24

ok put the boat in this 2 Saturdays ago and it started right up and seamed to run fine at low speed but when I went to get up on plane motor would bogg and seamed ton lack power
its a 1996 j200txedr ran fine last year

this year I changed the plugs and gaped them
new inline fuel filter (and yes its in the right way)

any clues

im going back later and will check fuel water separator ( replaced it)
sprayed some carb cleanere in carbs and put seafoam in fuel tank

went for a test run this morning still kinda had problem but it ran fine and idles great till I got out of marina then around 3k it sounded like it was breaking up and shake a little
came back In .I don't now what to do now thinking its tme for a mechanic

When it starts breaking up pull one plug wire at a time with an insulated pliers and see if you can find a certain cyl/cyls that are doing it.

it only does it when im trying to get up on a plane. under a load it idles and starts up just fine put in gear and pull out of slip and motor out past no wake still fine
just willnot get up . and does not stall ever

so i took it out tonight and ran off a new 3 gal tank and new fuel line from 3 gal tank to filter on motor . still same problem so that rules out my tank and fuel line right ? . 1 thing I noticed was right when I got back in my slip I took cover off and the port side cylinder bank was much hotter then the starboard side ? could this be a bad shift unit that when working right cuts out one side of motor to help with shifting .but is now not letting that starboard side fire when in gear. anyway thank you john

had a mechanic check boat tonight

1 plugs good
2 pulled plug wire 1 at a time with motor in gear and running all good
3 good spark
4 good fuel
5 stator charging good
6 compression good
7 put hand over each carb ? but was happy
8 took it for a test run
9 did the same thing at 3 to 3200
10 pumping primer bulb no change
11 bulb never went flat good
12 idles fine

what we did notice

1 some kind of sticky shinny black stuff under the flywheel not sure what it is ( from stator ? )
2 when we got back in slip fuel was coming up threw the water from the exhaust
cwm40.gif

he/s not a Johnson guy but some of the older guys he works with are hes going to ask them.
anyone here have any clues. he is pretty sure its electrical and not fuel
jatr24 is online now Report Post

Back