Logo

Yamaha lub ring free fuel additive

kps231

I have been using yamaha ring-free fuel additive for some time in my VF200 LA SHO. Just purchased a 32oz bottle for $60 which seems pricy to me. What can I use as a substitute?

If you are using it just as a detergent additive, not to do a radical decarbonization, ValvTect seems to have a good reputation and it is considerably cheaper. A 32 oz. bottle will treat about 320 gallons of fuel. Nice thing about ValvTect is that it is also a fuel stabilizer, so you do not also need to add Stabil, Startron or any other stabilizer.

Having said that, I still use Yamaha Lube Ring Free once or twice a season because I troll a lot with my Honda 225 and typically put 250 to 300 hours on the engine each year.

Thank you, Sir,

I am not sure the reason for using the Yamaha fuel additive other than the mechanic said it is important to do so. I burn ethanol free fuel only. Engine usage is 100 to 120 hours per year in salt and brakash water. Much of the time is in skinny water hunting for redfish. I am maticulious about adhering to the scheduled maintenance.

Up until Dec 2014 I was running a 225 hp Yamaha HPDI (2 stroke). The dealer said it was important to use the Yamaha ring free because it would help keep the fuel injectors from being obstructed. Well I did that for almost 900 hours, then one injector became obstructed causing a blown power head. Due to the repair cost vs. the cost of a low hour used in fresh water only Yamaha VF200 LA SHO, I replaced engines. The Yamaha mechanic told me to continue using the Yamaha product at the recommended 1oz per 10gals. Especially since I fish in salt water only.

Thank you for your help. I plan to continue the Yamaha product. When you break it down, Yamaha ring free is $1.88/oz which adds about $0.19 to each gal of fuel; it is worth it.

I appreciate your response.

Pat
A retired Marine who spends too much on fishing

Pat,

Yamaha Ring Free is a detergent for targeting carbon and other build up. If you troll a lot or slow cruise, carbon tends to build up on the rings, valve seats, and valve stems. Ring free prevents that by emulsifying the carbon deposits and allowing them to be expelled through the exhaust. It also prevents or lessens build up of gasoline residuals in the injectors and needle valves in the VST or carburetors.

These issues have nothing to do with what kind of water you are operating in.

Thank you for your service. I spend two tours in the land of the little green snakes - Army, Infantry.

Back