Logo

1995 Force 120HP teardown

1995maxum

I just picked up a nice project boat with a blown Force 120HP. Before you say don't waste your time or money let me say that I just want to try my hand at a rebuild and in my opinion a Force would be the easiest way to start....since there are so many blown Forces out there and they're so basic.
Anyways, I have the powerhead completely torn down and ready to be taken to be machined. I did notice in cyl#3 a small pit (possibly a hole) and rust "stain" on the cylinder wall near the head. Would that make the block junk or is that fixable?

On a side note I did also find a brand new 99 powerhead reasonably priced. My question is if anybody knows if this would be compatible. I cross referenced the 2 and the exhaust adapter bracket and the 2 gaskets and they're the same numbers.

Not sure but the 99 and 95 might not match.
Compare part #s.

If there is a hole in the cylinder wall??? You might get someone to spot weld it and cut it down.
If it was mine?? It would be scrap.

If it wasn't a learning project I agree 100% it's scrap but I got the boat for next to nothing. I guess I'll leave it up the the machine shop to see if the block is still serviceable.
As far as the 95-99 swap goes it looks like the same block, same footprint and mounting gaskets just the crankshaft is different. I was wondering if my components and electrical etc would still work if I swapped it out.

I believe if you change the crank your flywheel will fit.
I think the difference in the cranks is the taper at the top.
One's made for the older wheel and the other is for the newer Mercury electronics.
The bulk of the electrics should swap.

Back