Logo

battery cable melting

pennman

I have a crusader 350 270 HP. Removed the dead battery to charge. When I tried to re-install the battery, the cables got burning hot. The last time I tried to start the engine engine before the battery died, either the ignition switch or the solenoid was sticking because after turning the ignition switch off, the starter would keep turning. I'm thinking that problem may have caused a short which is why the battery cables want to fry when I go to connect them. I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas on where and how to check for the location of the short.

The last time I tried to start the engine engine before the battery died, either the ignition switch or the solenoid was sticking

1.... because after turning the ignition switch off, the starter would keep turning.

2.... I'm thinking that problem may have caused a short which is why the battery cables want to fry when I go to connect them.

I'm hoping someone can give me some ideas on where and how to check for the location of the short.

1.... You'll want to correct this first before going any further.

2.... Unless your starter motor is shot and is taking the current directly to Negative.... this is not a short.... this is a heavy starter motor load.

If the solenoid is stuck ON, you can isolate the starter motor from the solenoid by removing the 'bottom' screw on the solenoid and putting a piece of cardboard between the two electrical contact points...if you connect the battery cables and there's a spark (high current draw), you issue is likely in the battery cables...

Back