Logo

6504 r 6 hp evinrude

bspeth

Regular Contributor
Ive got intermittent spark on #2 cyl and its not that great when it does fire. New coil,condenser,points as the old ones looked prehistoric and I thought that to be the problem on visual inspection and spark test.Set timing with a fixture. cut 1/4 " off of each end of wire and put new spring and boot. Same. anybody think its anything other than the wire?Wobbly armature plate?

Was hoping Frank would weigh in also,must be fishin.Im going to go ahead and change out the wire(s) and relocate the coils and retime it,i will let ya know Boobie.

I replaced the wires with some copper core wires and it has a real snap now.I couldn't find anything wrong visually with the #2 wire.Tank test tomorrow.

No,the first time I did not pull the timing plate.I did use the coil locating ring.Kim,are you talking about the ring that the timing plate is secured to?

bspeth, what am I missing here? Didn't you say you replaced the plug wires and now have good spark? So what's the question?

P.S. Yes I was away, but am home now.

I just have a little slop in the timing plate,so I may have a little tinkerin to do still.I do have a helluva spark now though.Still have to test in the tank,had to get some Bows today. My 5 year old got her first one!

Last edited:
Tanked it today and it ran like dog poo.It would die at idle.I noticed the timing plate wobbling madly.I dimpled the retaining ring slightly and took out almost all of the wobble while maintaining what I judge to be proper resistance on the throttle control I hope this was the problem.Just have to retime it,test the spark, and tank it again.

Alright I need you guys to throw me a bone.The #2 cyl spark is intermittent still.Its got new everything: coil,wire,points,spring,boot. When it sparks its throwing a dang nice one,but I am definitely losing it.Guess I will swap the coils,but I am out of ideas.Thanks-B

Is it possible for the magnet in the flywheel to fire one coil and not the other?I have looked at it over and over,timed it and retimed it,reinstalled coil,spring,and boot.I just don't see the problem.Have you guys experienced anything like this?

I dimpled the armature plate support ring ever so sightly in order to take the slop out of the retaining ring and armature plate.I will change them when the new ones get here.I didn't do anything to the armature plate itself.

I THINK I have solved the problem. I replaced the retainer and support rings,not with new ones but used serviceable ones. Retimed it and tested for spark.Still intermittent.I realized when I would mess with the boot the spark would return.I think the spike attached to the spring in the boot was not making good contact and I had a heck of a time to make it good.What I did was stripped out the copper core 1/4" and unloaded the spring enough to get the 1/4" to slip in between the coil of the spring and again tested for spark which was no longer intermittent.YAY! My only problem now is that the wire is 1" to short from all of the dickering around,but I can deal with that.I adjusted the throttle cam.So replace the wire once again and I should have it.I will update when I get the new wire installed.Thanks-B

Back