Logo

Water in engine through flame arrestor 350 mag mpi

richard20541

Put my boat in the water for the first time last weekend. My wife drove it a few hundred yards over to the dock while I parked the trailer. She said it was running rough. Opened the compartment and saw that I had failed to refasten one of the hose pipes from winterizing. As a result water had sprayed in the engine compartment and the flame arrestor was dripping wet. Took off the flame arrestor and managed to get the engine to run. Dried out the arrestor and managed to give the boat a run that night for about 10 minutes. Next day it stalled leaving the dock. I noticed the engine oil was milky. I am not very knowledgeable as a mechanic but I assume that water could flow through the throttle body into the engine oil?
I am planning to change the oil, take the plugs off and clean if wet, change the fuel water separator. Any other thoughts before I get back to the boat next week?

that's one way it happens...the other is a bad winterization process that left water in the block....you'll know after changing the oil...

that's one way it happens...the other is a bad winterization process that left water in the block....you'll know after changing the oil...

Pretty sure that is not the problem as I winterized the same as I have the last 10 years...... all drain plugs taken out, blew out the water, etc. Pretty sure that water ran from the flame arrestor down through the hose to the engine manifold.

Back