Logo

Pulling Engine of OMC sterndrive

project papa

I need someone to talk me through the recommended process for pulling the engine in a sterndrive.
I am working on a 1966 OMC with a Buick V6. I have the engine mostly stripped and ready to come out,
and the sterndrive is removed. Do I pull the engine with the intermediate housing attached or do they split?
Also how does the transom seal come off? Sure am enjoying this project. Thanks in advance for your help.

either way. It depends on the hull design which will be easier. Some I would take both and that's usually easier. Others I would just take the bellhousing bolts out to disconnect from engine.

Transom seal has a large gear clamp like a hose clamp around the seal clamping it to the intermediate housing.

Thanks Gary
The engine is a 1966, the boat is a 1967 17' Tollycraft. It has a square transom seal. When I removed it, It was split all along the bottom anyway.
Hope I can find a new one.
To Hystat: The bellhousing has the rear motor mounts on it. I am attempting to remove the intermediate out the transom.

This engine was half submerged in water for some time. It has a lot of rust on the lower half. It will not turn at all. I may fail with the engine but this hull design I understand was created by Ed Monk and it has such beautiful lines. I want to try to keep it original. Thank You too Hystat.
I'll keep posting as I progress.
n

You have the far right one? 98 in the pic is
SEAL,Transom
it is not available for decades. I suppose you'll have to get the middle style (0313080 SEAL,Transom) and see what is involved in securing it to the hull. You may need to pick up a semi-square clamp ring (0313081 PLATE,Transom seal) off ebay or something. Hopefully it can be done without having to modify the hull opening.

Last edited:
Holy jumpin Moses, I haven't seen one of those in years. If you need the metal part for one of the "newer" bellows, let me know. I have some nice ones along with the clamp.

Yes Boatdoc55, I do need the metal part. I will gladly buy yours for the help you have given me. The clamp I have is in good shape. I will call Gary's Marine to make the purchase. I got a good chuckle out of "Holy jumpin Moses"

No apparent damage to the engine other than external Bolt on parts. The engine is in the shop for a long block rebuild.
I have so far acquired the stern seal and metal ring, a new starter, and rebuilt the carburetor. Now looking for a tilt motor and an alternator.

Back