Logo

2009 Mercury 60HP ELPT 4S Big Foot Battery not Charging

tinmouth

Hi all,
Glad to be here but wish it was under better circumstances...
My 2009 Mercury 60HP ELPT 4S Big Foot Battery is not Charging.
I have attached 2 pics hoping they might be helpful.
When I use the power tilt the engine wants to stall...The alarm also goes off.
Has anyone had similar issues?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated!
Thanks,
Ken

IMG_1493.jpgIMG_1495.jpg

There are two things you need to check here: the lighting coil under the flywheel and the regulator/ rectifier. To test the coil under the flywheel you'll need a DVA (see this video on making a cheap one: https://youtu.be/juhri_NxQcQ) If that coil isn't putting out the specified voltage it is your problem. If it is good connect the regulator/ rectifier again and see what voltage it is putting out. If it is low then it will need replacing.

Stuart

was the picture of that meter reading as shown taken with just the motor running or while you were operating power trim?what does the meter read before even starting the motor?

a fully charged good battery will read 12.7 volts with no load....if you have not already done it i would charge the battery with an external charger and then see what you have..should be 12.7 before ignition...when started and running at 2k rpm then it should be more than 12.7..

a boat charging system is designed to maintain a charge..not charge a battery in the condition shown...the battery should be charged before putting the boat in the water if it has set up for a while..it is not designed to charge a battery reading what your picture shows...charging a relatively dead battery with the engine charging system draws excessive current from the regulator..current eguals heat and that will eventually kill the regulator or the stator windings...

Make sure all connections are clean and tight. Use a multimeter and test for voltage at the battery- you should have 13.8 volts+ at 1200 rpm. If not, prepare yourself to replace the voltage regulator. Mercury regulators are crap, so I would suggest an aftermarket regulator from CDI.

Have the battery slow charged as suggested and then let an auto parts store run a computer test on it. I work for Advance Auto Parts and test batteries every day. Some need a good charge and distilled water added to bring them back to good condition. Others are not going to make it much longer but will start an engine.

I just went through that problem with my 2007 60 horse big foot and when reading the answers posted decided I needed a regulator.I went to install it and when I looked at the location of the original regulator there was a small black plastic box marked fuse,I popped it open and found that the fuse was blown.I replaced the fuse and my charging problem was corrected.

Back