Logo

Yamaha 50TLR tilt/trim has power but doesn't work

Tlongsoga

I have a 2007 Yamaha two stroke 50 TLR. I last used itabout ten days ago. Last night when I attempted to move to engine off the transom saver using the trim switch in the engine, it didn't work. The trim works as normal from the throttle. The has never been any issues with the engine tilt trim. Today I had the switch checked at a boat shop and it is fine. What really confuses me is that it appears that both wires have adequate power (11.9v).

11.9V sounds low to me. The switch may be fine tested in isolation, but the wires to the relay may have a bad connection somewhere. Any bad connection will cause a voltage drop. High resistance in the wire can also mean that you are getting the full voltage but only a very low current draw so don't rely on voltage measurements alone. Make sure all the connectors are clean and free of corrosion and test the resistance of the wires using a multimeter. You should see very low readings in every part of the wiring.

Stuart

Thanks, that makes sense. Something is not activating the solenoids.
11.9V sounds low to me. The switch may be fine tested in isolation, but the wires to the relay may have a bad connection somewhere. Any bad connection will cause a voltage drop. High resistance in the wire can also mean that you are getting the full voltage but only a very low current draw so don't rely on voltage measurements alone. Make sure all the connectors are clean and free of corrosion and test the resistance of the wires using a multimeter. You should see very low readings in every part of the wiring.

Stuart

Back