Logo

coil

missnancy

Regular Contributor
I picked up a Mallory Ylm distributor for my boat and am getting ready to install it. What should I use for a coil with it? and do I need the ballest resistor with this unit. If I had a complaint it would be the lack of instructions with the unit. Thanks in advance!
Paul

I have YLM624AV distributors in my boat and I used the NAPA coils. My coils use external resistor so I kept my stock ballast resistors too. This has been over 10 years since switching out my distributors and never had an issue.

I picked up a Mallory Ylm distributor for my boat and am getting ready to install it. What should I use for a coil with it? and do I need the ballest resistor with this unit. If I had a complaint it would be the lack of instructions with the unit. Thanks in advance!
Paul

Paul I just went through this on our boat; any brand of oil filled 12 volt coil will work as long as it has a resistance (ohms) rating of 1.5. And yes, you will need the ballast resistor!

Just to clarify, a "12 volt coil with 1.5 ohms resistance" is really a NINE volt coil that's run on 12 volts ONLY to start the motor. If you use a true 12 volt coil, and a ballast resistor, it will have a feeble spark....unless you do what my buddy did: He installed 45,000 volt high performance 12 volt coils and his engine "never ran better".

Jeff

Back