Logo

No fire any cylinder

Crappie Reaper

'84, Johnson V-6 GT vro with vro bypassed.

No fire to any spark plug. Motor has sat since '06, cold compression 98-99 lbs on all 6 cylinders.

I picked up an '84 Ranger 373v that was in dire need of TLC. Previous Owner stated Motor was good other than the lower unit which I have replaced. I rebuilt the guts of the Ranger including removing all gauges (marking what color wire went where), rebuilt the console with newer rocker style switches along with doing the same for the front panel at bow of boat.

I also installed a newer ignition switch in the remote that was on the remote I got when I bought the used motor for the good lower unit.

I'm not sure where to start testing to see why I am not getting fire to the cylinders. I have checked the purple wire under the console. No power when ignition switch is off, and only about 6-7 volts when ignition switch is on. I've also looked for the black/yellow stop wires to check the stop circuit and cannot locate them. The starter cranks the motor over just fine with plenty of RPMs when battery is fully charged.

I'm not sure if I have messed something up when putting the console gauges back together or if there was something done before I took possession of the boat as the front panel electrical was pulled out and several things cut or disconnected. I do know that the tilt/trim on the stern and console operates backwards (up is down and down is up). Another thing, the 7 colored and numbered bus terminal on the Starboard side of the engine for some reason gives me a negative 12 volt reading while using a meter, (black to grnd and red to each different connector on the bus).

Is there a way I can bypass the ignition switch to power the motor other than the starter? Like I said, ignition switch turns the motor over just fine.

This motor was last tagged in 2,005 and has set outside until I aired the tires up and parked it in my shop. There were numerous mud dabber nexts under the cowling on the block and even into a couple of the carbs which have been taken apart and cleaned.

Both fuel tanks were pulled, cleaned and fuel lines were replaced as well.

Any guidance would certainly be appreciated!

Last edited:
Back