Logo

Volvo Penta TAMD 41A

coleys4

Hi to all out there and hope someone can give me some advice,
I have just purchased a Birchwood TS37 and it has Volvo Penta TAMD 41A Engines, they are the original fitted in 1988 and have done around 1550 hrs each, I was warned that they are 'smokers' and this is due to the configuration of the Manifold and excess fuel being pumped back in when warming up - this I believe was rectified when the 41B replaced it - is there anything I can do to improve this? - a bit embarrassing when in a busy Marina!

It also smokes a bit (one does anyway) when cruising at 2900 rpm - would changing the Injectors help? - has anyone else been able to resolve this issue?

Look forward to replies
Thanks
Chris

No, that's the short answer.
I have twin A's also and they smoke like crazy when started cold. Colder the day the worse it is. It is white-light gray color smoke, stinks like unburned fuel.
I have never heard that the manifod causes this? Which manifold? Intake or EXH ? Please explain that more.
I heard it was caused by the design of the tops of pistons and the injector spray pattern(?)
"A" pistons are not sold anymore, now you buy what is basically "P" model pistons .
I recently had all the injectors rebuilt, both turbos rebuilt, and I cleaned the after coolers. Same smoke when cold. I did that work myself.
When warmed up and cruising @ 3,100 rpm the exhaust is pretty clean . Do you have glow plugs? Mine don't work, that is next on my list.
I would love to see an accurate list on exactly what is done to convert an "A" to a B or later model.
What color is your 2,900 RPM smoke? My port engine used to smoke black a little at higher RPM's but the turbo rebuild seemed to cure that.
I'm in Alaska, where are you ?

Hi,
I can't remember the details about the Excess fuel during start up and presume it goes into the Exhaust Manifold - hence the smell of unburned Fuel - I am meeting a Engineer from a local Volvo Penta Service Agent later this week who hopefully will explain more - glow plugs - not sure if they're working, again will know more later
My Port Engine emits white / light grey when running around 2900 rpm, not vast amounts but you can see it - I'm hoping I will get some answers from the experts - will keep up dating this thread
I live in Es*** on the east coast of England

I got the same engine in my boat I have a heater on mine I turn it on when I'm going to use boat makes a difference with smoke good engines but the smoke is annoying

Heater? Is that the 2 glow plugs that are in the intake manifold?

I have 2 glow plugs in the intake manifold. I have no idea how to use them, no idea how to turn them on and off?
Is there a timer somewhere? A controller?

I sent an email asking what causes all the smoke in A motors, also asked what is the difference between A,B & P motors.
They usually take a few days or more to reply. I will post the answers..

My boat don't have glow plugs it's got a heater that gets plugged into shore power smokes but not as bad 41a were designed with flat pistons causing the smoke they changed them to a more rounder style (

smok1.jpgThis is cold start on a cold day, 100 yards from dock. Rebuilt injectors, clean aftercooler, rebuilt turbos. Engine has good compression.
It has glow plugs but they do not work, very expen$ive from Volvo Penta.

Last edited:
This is normal idle when warmed up. Normal for my boat. I am going to try Cetane booster this summer.
I have asked numerous mechanics, parts guys the exact differences between 41A and 41B, no one seems to know, even a basic question if the cylinder heads are the same.
If a piston-liner change would cure it I would do that. I believe it is different pistons, different injector nozzles, not sure what else.
smok2.jpg

Last edited:
The reality is your in cold water and diesels like a threshold of heat to be efficient.
My 41Bs smoke when water temps are below 60F for a few seconds , then settle down.
Warmer temps less so, colder temps more so and more smoke for longer time till warmed up.

My 41Bs were rebuilt using same pistons and fitting bearings and rings and seals. Partly cost,
but mostly because of all the minor changes the P model had that supposed to help with the smoke.

For example... the B has improved pistons, injector pump and no exhaust restrictor / glow plugs over the A.
The P version has different pistons and injector pump and eliminates the crankcase filter over the B version.
The Ps plumbing also went all metal to rubber hose with a overflow tank, and the air filter went plastic.
The injectors and turbo may be different, but the mechanic doesn't think it would make any huge difference.
The only upgrade I did was the crankcase ventalation upgrade with Racors to the metal air cleaner.
The new Pentas with electronics manage the smoke issue, but with a price!

Attachments

• Rvalve_cover_Starboard.JPG
    Rvalve_cover_Starboard.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 697
Thank You! I'm glad you didn't mention cylinder heads!
I wonder if an A injection pump can be changed by a injection pump rebuilder? Is it just settings that are different? Seattle Injector told me they can rebuild my A injectors and turn them into B or P to match whatever liner kits I get. I don't have the exhaust restrictors, maybe because I have dry exhaust ?
I do have basically the same crankcase ventilation modification. My engines will either be replaced or rebuilt. The question is can I rebuild these using B or P parts and get less smoke overall.
The first pic is what I want to get rid of, that smoke lasts 4-5 minutes. Less on a hot sunny day. But I also like the idea of replacing everything with a pair of new D4's and drives, except the price :)

The crankcase vent mod is pictured in the Skiss photo I guess and it replaces the can with holes in it on the block ? What is the canister the hose goes to and were is it plummed to ? Will that mod help with warm up smoking or is it some kind of positive crankcase ventilation ? Love your boat Castle

Thank You,
I never had the canisters, my engines didn't come with them. Originally I had small tubing, about 1/4" that came off the valve cover and went to the air filter. The fitting on the valve cover is just like skiss showed, good sized, but on mine they necked it down to the small tubing right away. It just makes for a better crankcase ventilation system and is a common modification, not meant to help cold start smoke.
Mine goes from valve cover to canister , the exhaust housing has a pipe that runs straight up inside the housing, the hose connects to the bottom of that, so basically it vents to atmosphere
up inside the exhaust housing. I think most go to the air cleaner.

Castle what brand is your boat and is it a jet drive ? On the Hamilton jet web site there's a boat that looks like yours in a place that looks like the same area as your pictures .

It was built by All American Marine in Bellingham WA,1989, it has outdrives, no jets.
The boat in the Hamilton Jet website is also built by All American, but it's newer, 1997 and it's 32', most were 32' and a few 36' like mine.

My mechanic got my 41a running and was smoking too much , removal of the head revealed grooves just above where each piston sat for years in the cylinder walls . Possible boring or new sleeving and new pistons with rings are now needed . Do I let this guy ( Volvos Diesel shop in My area ) do his thing or do I ask for certain versions pistons , rings and sleeves . And at this point having the head and valves done , are these too changed for the later versions . I dont want to tell this guy his job but now is the time to get it correct and want to say or ask the proper questions now that the bill is headed up .

jmac I don't know any more than I did on my last post.
I do not know exactly what parts should be changed for later designed ones
supposedly the guy at coastal knows these engines very well, the shop manager or maintenance foreman , whatever he's called .
I'm at the point now of deciding what to do, replace both of mine with D4's, or try Toyota diesels with a Bravo out drive, convert over to twin outboards?

Back