Logo

85hp Force dead cylinder

AlGore

I am working on a 1989 Force 85 hp. the lowest cylinder is not making power. I have checked the carbs, seemed clean but still blew out all the passages after removing the jets and air bleed. All 3 cylinders have 120psi compression, the spark will jump about 1/2" but it doesnt seem to me as crisp or full as the other 2 cylinders. Is it possible the coil is bad and canno jump the gap while under cylinder pressure? An assistance would be appreciated.

thanks

all cylinders should jump 7/16 inch with a gap tester with a good snap...always fix what you see broke first....swap the coil...but first check the amount of fire on all of them..

What cylinder? 1/2/3/??
Start by swapping one coil for another and see if the no/weak spark follows the swap.
That follow the coil? Then replace.
Same problem? Then try swapping the power pack.

The 85/89 were famous for the trigger leads to break under the shrink wrap where they connect to the buss bar.

Outboard ignition . com has test procedures.

swapped coils. ran without water circulating and still has same cylinder dead. I suspect reed valve at this point. I didnt circulate water as i read a leaking gasket between exhaust and cylinder will dilute the fuel charge to the point of not firing.

If the same ones dead with a coil change.
Change the packs around.
You can rewire a pack to make it work if the one side is dead.
Or buy another pack.

The reeds: is any fuel spurting from the carb?
Any blow back?

(a leaking gasket between exhaust and cylinder will dilute the fuel charge to the point of not firing) ??That would be extremely hard to do unless you had NO compression on that cylinder(where did you read that?)
Any water on the plugs? Then the above statement is not applicable to your situation.
The only thing you might have done by not running with water is to burn up the impeller.

Im certain running it for 20 seconds without water didnt ruin the impeller. I read the water dilution issue on another forum. I asked a marine tech and he said he has heard of it. I have since done a cylinder leakage test, with only 7% leakage. I am leaning towards a reed valve issue.

I asked before?? Any fuel coming from the front of the carb as it's running?
No valves in the reeds, just thin pieces of metal.
Ever have a backfire problem?

Back