Logo

No spark on 1 cylinder evinrude 15hp 1986

gmayell

Hi ive got a 15 hp evinrude 1986 outboard, im having an issue and looking for some advice please. When the engine runs it only runs on 1 cylinder. Ive swapped over the 1 working wire which comes from power pack to the coil pack and both coil packs seem to be ok. Am i correct in assuming that the power pack is faulty or could it be under the fly wheel possible stator or rectifier fault. When i take the boat on water there is hardly any power due to running on the 1 cylinder. However i do get intermittant full power very occasionally. Its as if the other cylinder is getting spark to it now and then. Sorry for the long explanation. But im puzzled. I dont want to buy a powerpack if its not that. Thanks for any advice

Last edited:
Go through all the wiring complete if your getting intermittent spark to one cylinder it is usually wiring related. Clean all grounds metal to metal including the coils mounting grounds. Make sure the wiring is all 100% then you can diagnose the components. Bend all wires end to end looking for weak/bare spots as there could be corrosion under the insulation you cannot see. Fix as necessary and test after everything you do so you know where the problem was.
Thank you for advice i have checked all wiring and replaced some aswell tested with multi meter and changed h t leads ect

There is only one charge coil under the flywheel and only one sensor coil.-----They fire both cylinders are are rarely if ever at fault when engine runs on 1 cylinder.---------Check all the pins / sockets in the rubber plug in boots.-------Replace powerpack if fault persists.

Back