Logo

OMC Cobra upper unit

decker5484

Hello all,

I purchased a used upper unit for my OMC outdrive. When it came in, I went to install it and its not mounting correctly. I located the problem which is the anode on the front of the lower unit. The new upper unit has a big flange where the anode sits on the lower unit preventing it from seating all the way down. I looked at the old upper unit which does not have this flange allowing room for the anode on the lower unit. It also looks a bit different where the trim cylinders bolt up.

My question is will this unit still work on my lower unit? Is there a different anode I need to make the upper and lower bolt together correctly? It will seat all the way down as long as the anode is taken off. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Matt

There are two different anodes for the leading edge of the cobra. I'll call them solid and cut out, you need the cut out one for this upper. The upper should mate just fine with the lower as long as you bought the right ratio for your engine.

Thank you for your reply. Upon researching a little further, I see what you mean. It appears this upper is an older model, but will apparently still work if I buy a different anode. When I took this solid anode off, it looked to bolt up just fine. So are you saying all I have to do is buy this horseshoe looking anode and it will work just fine? This is a relief as I spent a grand on this new upper. My only other question: these uppers look slightly different where the trim cylinders bolt up. Do you have any reason to believe this slight difference will cause it not to work? Thanks much!

Matt

Back