Logo

1980 ski nautiqe pleasurecraft 351w need help !!

Taylor Stewart

So i bought this boat a couple weeks ago ran great, had it out on the water for the first time after changing plugs and oil and basically did a basic tune up! about half way through the day i had started hearing a ticking sound like one of the lifters was hitting or possibly stuck ! so i decided to take the boat outta the water to resolve the problem from getting worse! after getting the valves all ajusted to spec! also replacing cap,rotor, wires and and adding a few new fuel lines that needed replaced the motor wont start! i have checked compression, spark and fuel they are all there ! i can hear the fuel pump turn on before starting and see the fuel squirt into the carb! it wants to turn over just fine just wont start! I have tried starting fluid and it backfires black puffs! i have plugged the plugs and wiped them down and checked the gap and they smelled like they might have flooded so after that was done getting them all dry agian put them back in and the same thing the boat would crack over fine! just no start! the previous owner told me it had sat for awhile but he also showed me that it had been rebuilt less then 200 hours ago! it had some fuel in it but i added some fresh fuel and some sea foam just in case! just curious if anybody has any other ideas on what it might be i'm stumped and i don't know where else to to turn any advice helps! this is my first boat and i'm new to the marine engines !

maybe start by verifying the plug wires are in the correct order...gasoline sitting for a while can be a problem...20/20 hindsight but it is better to remove old fuel than to mix in new fuel to "freshen it up" - it don't work....if you have access to an outboard can, you can plumb it in, temporarily, to rule out bad fuel in the tank...and if you opt to try it, draining the fuel bowl in the carb and the fuel pump would be wise, too.

Back